Illinois-Chicago
Options

Recommend Your City Cake Baker Please!

I'm starting to check out places for cake. Taste is way more important than looks since we like pretty simple designs. I'd love to have a more unique or untraditional flavor combinations. We're only having around 50 people at the reception, so we probably won't get to do more than one flavor. Who's doing your cake? Anyone you tasted with that you would strongly recommend we NOT bother with? What flavors are you having? How much should I expect to pay per slice in the city? Thanks so much, gals!
Photobucket Vacation Vacation

Re: Recommend Your City Cake Baker Please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sweet Honeybee Bakery...the cake is tasty, prices are good, and the owner is easy to work with. You can get a two layer cake that serves 53 and would be able to have two types of fillings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Bombon Bakery!! There is one in Pilsen and in the West Loop. The cakes are amazing tasting, they specialize in Tres Leches (3 milk cakes) but also have other unique combos. Our favorites were the Cubano Chocolat, the Margarita (with fresh strawberries and whipped cream), and the Tres Leches Rompope. It is a family run Mexican bakery, and the owner Laura bakes your cake and is WONDERFUL. The only thing I will warn you is when we went in for the tasting I was worried about how the cake would look, she does alot of baptism, etc. But we had a simple design as well and it came out GREAT! It came out to around $700 for 200 people and that included tax and delivery (so around $3.50/slice). I went to the other big names in Chicago (cake girls, etc.) and I wasn't impressed with the taste (very traditional wedding cake) or the service (didn't get to meet with the owner and they wanted me to pick out of the book).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I"m using Amy Beck Cake Design.  we are doing a vanilla cake with alternating layers of strawberry and raspberry buttercream! yum!I think the cost is about $4 a slice. that's pretty average.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Dina from Dinascakes.com - she has a list of about 10 cake flavors and tons of different fillings.  Our cake is coming out to about $2.25pp.  It's a really good cake, and if she doesn't have something you like, she is open to creating something.I also like Alliance bakery and Weber's but their flavor options aren't very extensive.
  • Options
    lilpsi59lilpsi59 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Bombon bakery!  For birthdays I get their Acapulco cake, which has fresh pineapple chunks in middle.  Their icing is more like a whipped cream icing which is not sweet at all.  When I eat cake, I usually only eat the bread part, not the icing because I find it very sweet and overpowering and leaves a wierd filmy taste afterwards.  Not with these cakes.  They have two locations in the city and have tiny cakes that are replicas of the bigger cakes they make.  Adorable.  They might have you look through an album for a wedding cake though.  Just FYI.Ugh, I want cake now! :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Domino's bakery, on Harlem Ave.  They've always done all my family's baptism/first communion/graduation cakes and are excellent.  I'm not far enough along in the planning stages to have done cake tastings yet, but they are going to be first on my list to try.
  • Options
    citybride09citybride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Highly, highly recommend Amy Beck. She was the only person we met with, so I can't comment on others. Our wedding cake was soo good the day of our wedding. These are the flavors we had: * Chocolate with hazelnut and raspberry *Carrot cake with cream cheese *Vanilla with strawberryOur cake was fondant so I think it was like $7 per slice. Completely worth it.
  • Options
    girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh!  Amy Beck hasn't returned my email!  Is this like her?  Also just curious, have you found that most bakeries charge for your tasting?  Sarah's Pastries & Candy charges $25.  That seems like a lot to try some cake that we may not even like!
  • Options
    January BrideJanuary Bride member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Take the Cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also used Amy Beck and not responding to emails is VERY unlike her. She always responded to me very promptly. Her cakes are amazing and would highly rec her. Our flavors were 1) vanilla cake with alternating strawberry and key lime buttercream and 2) chocolate bourbon cake with raspberry buttercream and cream cheese. We did not pay for a cake tasting.
  • Options
    girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Cirrus! She did end up getting back to me. She is definitely near the top of my list of people to look into. I did hear great things about Take the Cake, but they cannot contract with us because our group is too small and they have a minimum order $$ which is way more than our budget. Ohhhh, how I wish I could talk to them though! I've heard such amazing things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Vote is for Tipsy Cake!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Vanille on Clybourn, or the Austrian bakery on Clark, between Fullerton & diversey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards