Ohio-Northeast
Options

Honeymoon Question

Hi! Just wondering is anyone went through a travel agent in the area for all your honeymoon information? Or how did you go about it? Any suggestions or recommendations will be helpful! 
IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary

Re: Honeymoon Question

• Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is mostly planning our honeymoon. We have not used a travel agent at all because all of the information is available on the internet these days. We have booked his parents timeshare and looked at all other information for booking online. 

Tripadvisor is a great site when considering hotels or resorts. I do think that you can't take every single comment too seriously though. I think it generally gives a good overview of a hotel, but there will always be people complaining on there!
  • Options
    l337Jacquil337Jacqui member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i totally second trip advisor. not only are the reviews on hotels helpful, but the FORUMS have been AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i read those things everyday. they really helped us plan our perfect trip. 

we planned our whole 3-week japan honeymoon ourselves. it's WAY cheaper in my opinion because we looked at ALL our flight/hotel options online and compared between multiple websites to get the best deal on everything. our trip consists of 5 different hotels, but it was just easier for us because we like reading reviews and we get a TON of stuff online in general (shopping, etc) so we're used to it. i feel you can customize and control every detail if you do it yourself. BUT! if you dont want the hassle, and just want something all inclusive, than a travel agent might be easier for you. we aren't one for "group tours". we like exploring things ourselves :) 
    jacqui + erik 7.10.10
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    **Planning Bio**

• Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for and how much time you and FI have to plan it yourselves. We used a travel agent (Pleasant Valley Travel in I think Seven Hills) to plan our Mexico HM. For reviews and general info when we were narrowing down which location we might like, we did cruise online reviews at tripadvisor. For us, it was nice to leave the nitty-gritty trip details up to someone else, so I'm glad we used an agent. It really isn't any more expensive either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not a travel agent, but if you are going to Mexico, or the carribbean, I would definitely go with Apple Vacations or Funjet.  I have used them at least 12 times and they are always perfect. No hidden fees and the price is so much cheaper than anyone else!  Let me know if this is something you are interested in.  We are going to do a last minute deal, because we know we can get $500 off the price when we wait a month or two before.  Plus, I have so much fun researching hotels that I would feel cheated booking too early! haha
  • Options
    starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH and I used a travel agent (Big Sky Travel) for planning our honeymoon.  She definitely got us the best deals for our honeymoon in Hawaii.  First of all, she had been there many times herself and was able to make recommendations and tell us in depth details about each of the islands so that we could make educated decisions.  In no way were we stuck in "group tours" or unable to choose what we did once we got there.  She helped us book flights, hotel rooms and any necessary transportation.  Once we got to Hawaii, we were on our own.  We were able to do so many different things while we were there and arrange it around our own schedule.  Not to mention, not all places have all-inclusive options (where we went in Hawaii was one of them).  I found it extremely helpful to be able to talk to someone about my concerns, wants and needs and I'm so glad that I didn't try to do it on my own. Even better - you don't pay the travel agent for their services AND they can get you some extra deals that you can't get yourself.

Furthermore, we were able to control every detail of our experience with the travel agent.  We told her when we wanted to leave and return, which islands and where on the islands we wanted to end up.  She went and found the best deals she could, presented them to us and then WE chose what worked best for us.  I definitely wouldn't have done it any other way!!  :)  GOOD LUCK!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are going to Hawaii and Becky with J Sullivan Travel is our agent. Its a free service to uss, all we pay for is the trip itself, and she gets comission from the airline and hotels for booking us. Its great because we just communicate via email or phone....we just told her what we wanted to do, how long and or budget. She is even helping us plan activities to do while on the island.
  • Options
    sarahb0485sarahb0485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've planned multiple trips to Europe and Australia on my own and never once considered using a TA. However, after reading so many positive reviews on The Knot we decided to look into. We ended up getting slightly cheaper rates with more upgrades. All in all they did the work we got upgraded and saved some cash.

I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of your honeymoon. But it doesn't hurt to shop around, in fact I'd recommend it. Just like your other wedding vendors you need to find the one with the right fit.
  • Options
    natatomicnatatomic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We went through Chima Travel in Akron and loved every minute of it. I consider myself to be pretty well traveled and an expert in online flight booking (you try  to book a flight from Prague to Kitty Hawk, SC to Cleveland for under $700 in August) The whole "book it online on your own" is very tempting but depending on where you want to go, this can be a mistake. By booking through a travel agent FI & I recieved huge upgrades and over $400 in resort credit. for our honeymoon to Mexico.... All things that would have been impossible to aquire alone online.

I agree with the above posters in that it depends on WHERE you want to go first. If you really cannot decide (that can be a stressful descision) I would go to a trusted and recommended travel agency and let them match you up!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards