Illinois-Chicago

Just got engaged. Just moved to Chicago. I need a dress!

Hello!  This is my first post as an engaged newby to the city of Chicago!  I am planning to have my Mom and sister to the city in a couple months for a girl's weekend and I would like to start my wedding gown search.  My budget is 1k or less and I need help finding a place in the city (or surrounding neighborhoods).  I'm a budget bride - please help! 

Re: Just got engaged. Just moved to Chicago. I need a dress!

• edited December 2011
    I didn't get my dress there but a friend raved about Weddings 826 in Lincoln Park.  It's a sample store, so the dresses are pretty affordable...I'm sure you should be able to find some things in that budget.  

I've had a horrible experience thus far at House of Brides in the city getting a bridesmaid dress for a friend's wedding, so I would advise against that.  

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on getting my dress at Eva's Bridal -- they have several locations, just google it.
  • reneeandscottreneeandscott member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to head north out of the city, you could try Kathryn's Bridal in McHenry, IL.  It's an adorable little boutique store without all of the pretentiousness!  (I'm a teacher during the school year, but also work there part time & that's where I'm getting my dress from!!  Let me know if you have any questions about what we carry!)  http://www.kathryns-bridal.com/
    ~All You Need is LOVE~
  • edited December 2011
    Well, its not the most popular place, but I was really happy with my David's Bridal experience.  I'm definitely a budget bride and I got a gorgeous dress for $450!  

Also, Congrats and welcome to Chicago!!  The ladies on this board are fantastic and very helpful....let us know if you need any Chicago advice or suggestions! 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to Chicago! I purchased my dress at Eva's Bridal in Oak Lawn and had a great experience. Let me know if you have specific questions :)
  • edited December 2011
    I had a great experience at House of Brides and David's Bridal in Orland Park.  After visiting 4 different stores and having a range of experiences I think the consultant is a huge factor.  Laura at House of Brides and Ebonique at David's Bridal were WONDERFUL! 

I wasn't crazy about Eva's in Oak Lawn.  Found the store and dresses to be dirty and consultant unhelpful and pushy.

Bella Sposa in Tinley Park was very nice but they have a smaller selection. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really recommend getting out of Cook County as you shop. That 10% sales tax can be killer.
  • edited December 2011
    Agree on staying out of Cook County if possile-- it's worth it to avoid the tax if you don't imagine driving out.  For what it's worth, Eva's in Orland and Oak Lawn are owned by different interests, so it's best not to judge one by the other.  I had a terrible experience at HOB-- I've posted about it before (feel free to search my old posts). I did find my Pronovias gown at Eva's in Orland-- great price (they came down significantly to get under my $1K limit), great alterations, but exceedingly slow delivery and multiple employees giving me the run-around and fabricating conflicting delivery dates on the phone.  Ultimately it all worked out, but I'd ask for a hard delivery timeframe from the outset to avoid the annoyance of trying to suss out the truth later on.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • barryterbarryter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My suggestion is to check out the cheapest places first, then move up to the more expensive stores if you don't see anything you like.
    I was very Anti-Davids bridal and I ended up falling in love with a dress there. I kept dreaming about the dress, so I ended up buying it! They have more upscale lines I was very impressed with. My gown was originally 1k, and they had a promo sale (they always do).

I really enjoyed my experience at the DB on Elston and Diversey. It's brand new and very organized. If anything, it gets you thinking about what dresses flatter your body the most. 

I

• edited December 2011
    I definately suggest Weddings 826 in Lincoln Park!  I got my wedding dress from there and have my fitting this week.  All of the girls that work there are super nice and not pushy.  It is a classy bridal boutique without the snooty bridal store feel! Smile
  • pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say either Crystal Bride (where I got mine) in Geneva, (Great Experience with staff and tons of dresses) or Naperville Boutique!
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
  • pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and BTW...had a horrible experience with Eva's Bridal of Oaklawn with their staff. Unless you want to deal with unprofessional staff, don't go there!!!
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  Thanks everyone for the great advice!  I absolutely love this city and I'm pretty sure all of you will agree that getting engaged is falling in love all over again - I'm on cloud 9 to say the least and this city is helping!

I'll be sure to ask all of the questions I already have brewing - thank you so much!
  • Out of YogurtOut of Yogurt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend The Crystal Bride in Geneva!  Their prices are really reasonable (I saw several dresses well under $1k) and the ladies there are fabulous (I worked with Chante).  You can take the train from Ogilvie (UP West line) to Geneva and they are only about 6-8 blocks from the train station.  Geneva is adorable, too, and well worth the trip!

Congrats and welcome to the greatest city in the world! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards