Illinois-Chicago
Options

Ideas for Parent Gifts

I really have no idea what to get our parents as thank you gifts. My FILs have everything and I don't want to get either set something blandly wedding related.

Any ideas would be great.

TIA
When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio

Re: Ideas for Parent Gifts

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do this, but I thought about getting the moms a necklace from Tiffany's. Then, I didn't know what to do for the dads so we scratched that idea...so if you can think of something for the dads:)
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we did a date night basket for his parents-with stuff to either have a date night in & a gift certificate to go out for dinner.  My mom's getting a necklace.  I also got his mom a pair of earrings just from me.

"Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    "She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time." The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Me:28 DH:28 TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR
    Feb'12- Clomid/TI with CD3 &21 labs(normal)& SA-count 6mil/ml,morph/motil OK-BFN
    April'12 Ultrasounds,HSG -clear, slight acurate uterus
    5/14 IUI #1-50 mg clomid-post wash total motile count 19.3 prometrium 2dpiui= BFN
    6/11-IUI #2-100 mg clomid & prometrium post wash count total motile 17.5 = BFN
    7/6 IUI#3 with 100 mg clomid, estridiol, prometrium. post wash total motile count 23.3 = BFN
    8/30IVF#1 BCPs, Follistim, Menopur,Ganerelix,Novarel.
    ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F.
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 BCPs, Follistim, Menopur, Ganerelix, Novarel, Baby Aspirin
    ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    2/13- Saline sono revealed a polyp. All additional labwork coming back normal. Genetic screen revealed DH has MTHFR deficiency & I am a carrier for it.
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy
    next up-Reproductive immunologist Appt 3/27, cycling in may?

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're thinking about doing digital photo frames.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    ekalmesekalmes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A kindle is always a nice idea if your parents like to read or travel a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't figured out the whole gift but I'm giving them handkerchiefs from just me.  The dads are getting their monogram with the wedding date on it and then the moms will say, Tears of Joy, Love, Aperitisa, and the wedding date.  I'll give them the gifts at the rehearsal dinner so they can use them on the wedding day. 

Still have to come up with some more ideas though!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    knthayerknthayer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been wondering about this too, and would love to hear suggestions.

I think we're going to make them their own wedding book, but give them a nice photo frame with a note inside at the rehearsal dinner, explaining they'll get a book once the photos are in.

I know my mom really wanted a book of her own so she'll like it, but we're wondering if we should add something to it (especially for the dads).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are probably also doing the date night thing and getting a gift certificate to a restaurant and theater tickets. Lettuce Entertain You is great for restaurant gift certificates because they can pick from a lot of restaurants.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh geeze, I totally forgot they are getting parent albums & I think videos too (I needs to double check the package)

"Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    "She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time." The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Me:28 DH:28 TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR
    Feb'12- Clomid/TI with CD3 &21 labs(normal)& SA-count 6mil/ml,morph/motil OK-BFN
    April'12 Ultrasounds,HSG -clear, slight acurate uterus
    5/14 IUI #1-50 mg clomid-post wash total motile count 19.3 prometrium 2dpiui= BFN
    6/11-IUI #2-100 mg clomid & prometrium post wash count total motile 17.5 = BFN
    7/6 IUI#3 with 100 mg clomid, estridiol, prometrium. post wash total motile count 23.3 = BFN
    8/30IVF#1 BCPs, Follistim, Menopur,Ganerelix,Novarel.
    ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F.
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 BCPs, Follistim, Menopur, Ganerelix, Novarel, Baby Aspirin
    ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    2/13- Saline sono revealed a polyp. All additional labwork coming back normal. Genetic screen revealed DH has MTHFR deficiency & I am a carrier for it.
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy
    next up-Reproductive immunologist Appt 3/27, cycling in may?

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    rag828rag828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it really necessary to get them gifts? I've asked around (most of my friends got married several years ago) and only one couple of the 10 I asked got their inlaws gifts.  That said, most did get the parents of the bride a gift - b/c they paid for the wedding.....thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we gave his parents a flat screen tv. =)
    They didn't pay for the wedding, but they did a LOT for us, including buying all of our place settings AND giving us cash AND paying for the reh. dinner. They deserved it. It was also a Christmas present, so it worked out both ways =)
  • Options
    katiebaby1224katiebaby1224 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking of getting gift certificates to restaurants, and then giving the two moms some sort of plant for their yards.  Then they can always have that as a reminder of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards