Illinois-Chicago

Day Of Survival Kit?

I am not getting married till June 2012 - but my FH's brother is getting married this June.  This will be my first time being in a wedding and I am using it to learn for my own - But I wanted to make my FSIL a survival / emergency kit for the day of.  She isnt having a day of coordinator and I want to make her day as stress free as possible.  Can you guys suggest things to include?

Re: Day Of Survival Kit?

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Safety pins, sewing kit w/scissors, hollywood (double-sided) tape, deoderant, kleenex, bobby pins, gum, hairspray, bandaids
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto pp's and:

-stain stick
    -hair spray (mini one is better to transport)
    -crochet hook (this is a tip from my seamstress since I have those little buttons with the loops on the back of my dress)
    -lotion
    -floss?

• edited December 2011
    Great ideas!  Thank!  I never would have thought of most of this stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure if it's possible but a lot of make up artists do a little mini lipstick so you can do touch ups. Maybe make sure her lip color is available or a shiny chap stick. I'd also put some aspirin in my emergency kit.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Don't forget  an umbrella for inclement weather, signed copies of all contracts, etc, Chapstick, Suncreen and Hand lotion as well. :)
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    here is mine! everything is from Target or the Dollar Tree (except for the heart shaped shoe insert-which is from FootPetals.com)

• edited December 2011
    The Paper Source actually sells this. My sister/MOH bought it for the day of and it comes with tons of items in a cute little bag that you can carry everything in. It saves you the hassle of trying to remember to buy everything seperately.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_day-of-survival-kit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3d6a2822-4f2b-4c1b-841f-ecb1df04d750Post:aaae635c-a9f8-46ba-bf35-258000937341">Re: Day Of Survival Kit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Paper Source actually sells this. My sister/MOH bought it for the day of and it comes with tons of items in a cute little bag that you can carry everything in. It saves you the hassle of trying to remember to buy everything seperately.
    Posted by SoulOverflowing[/QUOTE]
    I've seen them pre-assembled at other stores as well, but it seems like it is a little pricey for stuff that you probably have at home and would just throw in a bag.
  • Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Recommendation I got from Mary Catomy - Static Guard.  Spray the bottom of your dress as well as your veil to avoid picking up any unwanted debris. 

Our groomsmen also used it so it came in handy!
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_day-of-survival-kit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3d6a2822-4f2b-4c1b-841f-ecb1df04d750Post:bfb299a9-323b-441d-96d7-02b2c6f7496c">Re: Day Of Survival Kit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Recommendation I got from Mary Catomy - Static Guard.  Spray the bottom of your dress as well as your veil to avoid picking up any unwanted debris.  Our groomsmen also used it so it came in handy!
    Posted by Golfer09[/QUOTE]
    ahh thanks for this suggestion! definitely didn't think of that!
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Aimers, much cheaper to assemble yourself.

Also, one pp's suggested a stain stick...do not use that on silk or taffeta gowns, it will discolor and/or stain!!

The best thing to do if the bride gets something on her gown is tonic water, wash clothe and scrub! (I speak from experience, I'm a klutz)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_day-of-survival-kit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3d6a2822-4f2b-4c1b-841f-ecb1df04d750Post:ab1e5abb-42ed-444b-a7ab-7e78e97403ca">Re: Day Of Survival Kit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Aimers, much cheaper to assemble yourself. <strong>Also, one pp's suggested a stain stick...do not use that on silk or taffeta gowns, it will discolor and/or stain!</strong>! The best thing to do if the bride gets something on her gown is tonic water, wash clothe and scrub! (I speak from experience, I'm a klutz)
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]
    omg you're so right!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    For stains, I have heard recommendations to bring either chalk or white eye shadow to "cover" stains.  Talcum powder absorbs anything oil based.

Tylenol, tums, Immodium, solution/drops if contact lens wearer, spare pair of lenses...Crest sells something called a "finger" toothbrush, anti-bacterial gel, band-aids, earring backs, tampon/mini pad, small mirror.

Rolling lint brush, two-sided tape (for hems, ties/sashes that won't lie flat), extra straight pins for corsages.

"Clean" snack foods such as saltine crackers, certain granola bars, pre-cut, bite sized fruit, gum, mints, drinking straw, water.

Post - it notes, pens/pencils, names/numbers of all important people and vendors, extra batteries/chargers.

Can you tell I'm not a risk-taker??

I am also considering large trash bags....moreso for the bridal party to sit en route to the ceremony to avoid wrinkles in dresses, or to lay across the base of car doors to avoid grease/dirt from door tracks....ok--I'm a bit of a neat-freak as well...
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_day-of-survival-kit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3d6a2822-4f2b-4c1b-841f-ecb1df04d750Post:3dfc99ac-a2db-4b02-aab1-45dcf831ccab">Re: Day Of Survival Kit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For stains, I have heard recommendations to bring either chalk or white eye shadow to "cover" stains.  Talcum powder absorbs anything oil based. Tylenol, tums, Immodium, solution/drops if contact lens wearer, spare pair of lenses...Crest sells something called a "finger" toothbrush, anti-bacterial gel, band-aids, earring backs, tampon/mini pad, small mirror. Rolling lint brush, two-sided tape (for hems, ties/sashes that won't lie flat), extra straight pins for corsages. "Clean" snack foods such as saltine crackers, certain granola bars, pre-cut, bite sized fruit, gum, mints, drinking straw, water. Post - it notes, pens/pencils, names/numbers of all important people and vendors, extra batteries/chargers. Can you tell I'm not a risk-taker?? <strong>I am also considering large trash bags....moreso for the bridal party to sit en route to the ceremony to avoid wrinkles in dresses, or to lay across the base of car doors to avoid grease/dirt from door tracks....ok--I'm a bit of a neat-freak as well...</strong>
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]

This is a fantastic idea! I have no idea how I am going to get in and out of the limo we have w/out my dress touching the ground, etc!
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Multiple copies (not like dozens, but 2 or 3) of vendors names, phone numbers, and contact name (if different than the vendor himself/herself).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow guys.  Thank you SO much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards