Illinois-Chicago
Options

how early should i book our hotel blocks?

our wedding is 4.28.12.  considering it's chicago and things book far in advance, should i be worried about hotel blocks now?  or, can i push it down the to-do list and work on it next month?  seems like i have this flurry of activity all of a sudden.

we're thinking about looking into that triangle of hotels near the rookery....the W, JW, and club quarters.  i imagine those are popular....???

??

thanks!  i can't imagine finding all the information alone that i've been able to get on this board, you ladies are so helpful!!

Re: how early should i book our hotel blocks?

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check with the Chicago Area Guides and see what "events" may be going on that particular weekend.  That will definitely impact many hotels on any given weekend.

You might also want to begin looking at whether any of these hotels insist you book a minimum block and/or will make you responsible (payment wise)  for any rooms not reserved. That may also help you make a decision.

We booked our hotel blocks last June for our June 11 wedding.  We did it early in part to check as many "easy" items off our list as possible.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'd call and ask the hotels what they recommend.  They should also be aware of events.  I'd assume the earlier you make the block, the cheaper the rate.

My brother works for a high-end hotel downtown and rates sky-rocket during events like the Taste.
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto hz80408.  Our wedding is this December and I think we booked our hotel block last November or December...we looked at 2 the weekend after Thanksgiving and then booked right after that.  I think, as with all things WR, the sooner you book the better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    good advice!  thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have much input as far as timing...I think the earlier the better.  Its one thing checked off your long to-do list. 

I also wanted to add that we are using Club Quarters for our wedding next weekend and I do not recommend them.  Unfortunately, we didn't have much choice in hotels.  The biggest convention held in Chicago is the weekend of our wedding and I couldn't get a block anywhere else even a year and a half ahead of time.  Club Quaters has been really difficult to work with.  They have some person in NY do all of their wedding block stuff, so if people call the actual hotel they were told that there weren't any rooms available when there were.  Then this week they sent me a list of the people who had reserved rooms and there were people missing from the list and other people with multiple rooms who only wanted one room.  Needless to say working with them has been the biggest headache of my wedding planning!  I would go with the other hotels over Club Quarters.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_early-should-book-hotel-blocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3f017c2f-54bf-41dd-8eeb-25a21c9fd256Post:02253f0a-85f6-4e99-b4ba-d79fbd9d6758">Re: how early should i book our hotel blocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Needless to say working with them has been the biggest headache of my wedding planning!  I would go with the other hotels over Club Quarters.
    Posted by leahyka[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>wow!  thanks for the headsup.  bummer.  we've stayed at their hotels in other cities and love them.  i'm sorry for your stress leah - i feel like the hotel block should be the LEAST of our worries, right?</div><div>
    </div><div>any ideas for a comparable affordable option?

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in September, and I just booked my room block last week, and it's during Labor Day weekend- and we didn't have a problem at all finding rooms.  However, we only needed maybe 20, as most people live in the area. 

I do recommend negotiating.  I have negotiated the price down on every single Hotel I've called- none seem to give a "good deal" at first.  Also, some required we had exact room counts (which is hard to figure) while others were easy to negotiate with.  Definitely shop around.  I found great deals downtown.

Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_early-should-book-hotel-blocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3f017c2f-54bf-41dd-8eeb-25a21c9fd256Post:2a2b4a15-d92d-4be0-ba50-bfe6eeb782ca">Re: how early should i book our hotel blocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in September, and I just booked my room block last week, and it's during Labor Day weekend- and we didn't have a problem at all finding rooms.  However, we only needed maybe 20, as most people live in the area.  I do recommend negotiating.  I have negotiated the price down on every single Hotel I've called- none seem to give a "good deal" at first.  Also, some required we had exact room counts (which is hard to figure) while others were easy to negotiate with.  Definitely shop around.  <strong>I found great deals downtown</strong>. Good luck! 
    Posted by tonyandstef[/QUOTE]

<div>Which hotels did you find that gave you great deals?  I'm also looking to book downtown and don't want my OOT guests to pay an arm and a leg to stay here!</div><div>
    </div><div>TIA</div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Motogrl 13 - I sent you a PM. :)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards