Illinois-Chicago
Options

Don't know if anyone has been in THIS type of situation....

My mother suffered from a brain clot & aneurysm MAy2012. She hasn't quite woken up from it still, but I NEED & WANT her at my wedding. She's technically said to be in a vegetative state.... However, myself, my friends & many of her friends that I consider my aunts are all nurses.... We know that even for brief 5-10min intervals, she's there. So, I'm thinking of having the ceremony at her nursing home. My family is roman catholic & I know the sacrament of marriage requires me to marry in the church..... Seeing as how my mom isn't fit for travel, this can't be possible.... Would the church reconsider in this kind of situation???? I would like to marry sometime this year....  Anyone else have a similar story that could tell me how theirs went???? what they did to make it work???? 

Re: Don't know if anyone has been in THIS type of situation....

• Options
    My suggestion would be to talk to your priest. I think he would be able to give you a lot better guidance/advice regarding this situation. I feel like most priests would be very understanding of the situation, so it might be easier than you think. But like I said, I'd start with talking to your priest first and feeling him out on the situation. GL!
    Vacation
  • Options
    Does the nursing home have a chapel? Perhaps the chaplain at the nursing home could also speak on your behalf to your parish priest regarding your unusual circumstances.

I don't think your request would be out of the realm of possibilities.  I do have one friend who was able to have a Catholic ceremony outside the walls of a Catholic church.  The bride had a physical disability as did many of the guests in attendance. Transporting that many wheelchair bound guests from point A to point B was incredibly difficult, so they did receive a dispensation.

Good luck.  I am sorry about your mom's health.

• Options
    I would post this question on the Catholic board. They would have better ideas than I would. But I think all you can do is ask your preist.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to tell you I'm thinking of you!  My mom passed of a BA in Feb 2008.  If you ever need anybody to talk to you, please reach out!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    my friend had a similar situation with her grandma, and they had a webcam set up to the room so she could still watch-ish.  they went and did pictures at the nursing home between the ceremony and reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards