Illinois-Chicago
Options

OUTDOOR RECEPTION??......

at a Forest Grove (like Bemis Woods, for example).... has it ever been done.  I've been doing some reasearch and I think I'm pretty decided on getting married in Vegas....and the weekend after just having a "bbq-type" catered reception at a Forest Park in the Chicagoland area.  Now after looking up some info, I found that a sheltered grove permit would cost me about $100.  But then I want a DJ to provide music, so I'm sure I'd need a permit for that.

Has anyone ever been to or planned an event LIKE THIS... where there was a large gathering of about 150 - 200 at forest park with music provided?  (not just a wedding event)  Is it do-able and affordable? 

I plan on having some food and beverage catered, and some homemade. 

Re: OUTDOOR RECEPTION??......

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked into this for Naperville for our rehearsal dinner and decided it wasn't worth it.

First off, you can't have any liquor. Second, there were a list of preferred vendors that we could use. Third, I've been to one of these for 30 people when it rained and it was not fun. You are stuck under the shelter which isn't a ton of space.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MLRB, in the event that bad weather comes, it may be a problem to huddle everyone under those huts. Have you looked at Salvatore's? I think they have a patio/restaurant combination.
  • Options
    nicas828nicas828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm. I see. 

Well I just checked out Salvatore's and $90 pp is WAY over budget... =/ 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, sorry I forgot about that :(. How much did you want to spend per person?
  • Options
    nicas828nicas828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly... no more than $20 pp with food and alcohol...  I know its stretching it.

I looked into it, and Corky's Catering for 200 people can cater for $7.99 pp.  I figured that at a forest preserve would be great. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:6691ec35-e712-45ef-b21d-748b6814acacPost:be288fe8-5834-4630-9433-b5af0d3f2758">Re: OUTDOOR RECEPTION??......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly... no more than $20 pp with food and alcohol...  I know its stretching it. I looked into it, and Corky's Catering for 200 people can cater for $7.99 pp.  I figured that at a forest preserve would be great. 
    Posted by nicas828[/QUOTE]

So it sounds like you should have extra money to rent a tent or something in case of rain.

Maybe you could do a rec center or something that would have an indoor/outdoor area. Or do you belong to a congregation? We could rent our temple for a BBQ if we wanted for a nominal fee. Those generally have a lot of space inside and out.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    nicas828nicas828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually now looking into doing a Sunday reception at Garden Banquets in Chicago.  Their prices seem fairly reasonable and I LOVE the outdoor theme.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards