Illinois-Chicago
Options

help with churches in north suburbs

My reception is in Libertyville at Events at Independence Grove and we are having trouble finding a church for the ceremony. We are both confirmed Catholics and have a Catholic priest who will marry us. Many Catholic churches require you to be a member, but due to us living an hour south, this is not an option. Does anyone know of a Catholic church that allows non members to get married there with their own priest? 180 guests total and I would prefer the church to be at most 25 minutes away from the venue.

Thanks for your help!

Re: help with churches in north suburbs

• Options
    All you have to do is find a chuch then  sign up instantnly you are a parishioner. I attended a church regularly but never signed up formally. I signed up when I got engaged and then a week later booked the church so I was considered a member already.

I know there are Catholic churches in both libertyville and vernon hills (St. Marys in Vernon Hills), both of which are close.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_help-with-churches-in-north-suburbs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:69946f97-787f-42ab-846d-db20e50437fePost:0a8c4050-645d-4691-8d30-23f9d1c52745">Re: help with churches in north suburbs</a>:
    [QUOTE]All you have to do is find a chuch then  sign up instantnly you are a parishioner. I attended a church regularly but never signed up formally. I signed up when I got engaged and then a week later booked the church so I was considered a member already. I know there are Catholic churches in both libertyville and vernon hills (St. Marys in Vernon Hills), both of which are close.
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

Do you not think that it is dishonest and disrespectful to <u>lie </u>to a church in order to marry?  The OP already stated that <strong>"due to us living an hour south, this is not an option."</strong>  A parish will ask for a mailing/residency address. 

There are easily a dozen parishes in the surrounding area.  The point is that there are reasons parishes expect/require you to be a member of their church to receive the sacraments. 
  • Options
    We wouldn't want to make our guests drive to the ceremony, then drive an hour to the reception (reception is booked, no turning back). That is why we are not going with the church the Priest belongs to. On a side note: He may or may not be available for our wedding date, he finds out in February if he is traveling to Africa for a service project. So, we may need the Priest from the selected Church marry us(I'll worry about this when it comes time). 

Thank you for the information on Holy Family. Our families will be traveling north from I-88 & I-294, so any churches that are "on route" towards Events at Independence Grove would be suitable. 

I wouldn't want to become a parish member just for the wedding's sake and not be true to the church after the wedding. 
  • Options
    Could that priest just marry you AT independence Grove?

p.s. I had actually attended the church regularly that I mentioned. I just had never officially signed up
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_help-with-churches-in-north-suburbs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:69946f97-787f-42ab-846d-db20e50437fePost:9d743a3c-9d80-4a6d-b8f0-29c69931694c">Re: help with churches in north suburbs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could that priest just marry you AT independence Grove? p.s. I had actually attended the church regularly that I mentioned. I just had never officially signed up
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

<div>It won't be a wedding recognized by the Catholic Church, unless it occurs in a Catholic church, and priests cannot/will not perform a marriage outside of the church.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than look around at different parishes in the area.  Plenty of churches will allow you to get married without being a parishioner; you'll just have to pay a (sometimes large) fee.  Some parishes may be more open than others to you having your own priest marry you.  You probably should not have booked your reception venue before reserving a church.  Good luck finding a church!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards