Illinois-Chicago

Religious differences

Hi My name is Mallory and I am planning my own wedding. My fiance and I are arguing about our religious differences about it. he has no problem with my religion but his family might and altho he he keeps telling me its our wedding who cares what everyone thinks, I cant even tslip a goddess into the mix. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to how to compromise.

Re: Religious differences

• barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What religion is his family?  Sometimes if you compromise by putting a bit of their religious background in your ceremony, you can add a bit of yours.  I wouldn't try to take it out completely, yes, it is your wedding and you can do whatever you want...but his parents are a huge part of it and so are yours.  
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • malloryparismalloryparis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    His family is Catholic as to my family agnostic, and wiccan. Kindda crazy I know. and Everything is being done the Catholic way. I'd be happy with a blessed be or something.....
  • edited December 2011
    why don't you have a non-religious ceremony?  we are using a humanist celebrant because we were both raised catholic, but he has become more agnostic, whereas i have strayed away from the church to believe in the same God but in a different way... since things are so different, it doesn't make sense to marry in the catholic church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • malloryparismalloryparis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really wish it was that easy. he worried about his family. But my family would be very upset if I dont have a nod at my  side. hes so worried about upsetting his grandfather. He doesnt follow a faith and Im not totally commited. yesterday after work his dad actually took us to a catholic church so we could meet his priest. I was not very happy. I want to tell him I want a non denominational wedding, but he keeps insisting we make his family happy.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_religious-differences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:69f3c19e-4643-4992-a37e-251afbe76a21Post:de675fc5-1fba-4fa5-b6ff-058a657b6c80">Re: Religious differences</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really wish it was that easy. he worried about his family. But my family would be very upset if I dont have a nod at my  side. hes so worried about upsetting his grandfather. He doesnt follow a faith and Im not totally commited. yesterday after work his dad actually took us to a catholic church so we could meet his priest. I was not very happy. I want to tell him I want a non denominational wedding, but he keeps insisting we make his family happy.
    Posted by malloryparis[/QUOTE]

<div>This isn't about his family though... this is between you two.  If it's a celebrant at a neutral location, if he/she is good enough, everyone will be satisfied.</div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When my cousin got married, she's Catholic and he's Hindu, they had two ceremonies (that may be more complicated than what you are looking for though).  The Catholic ceremony was on Sat followed by the reception in which they incorporated both cultures, and on Sunday morning they had the traditional Hindu ceremony followed by lunch at a local Inidan resturant.

It was really great to see how important it was to them to have both of their religions represented.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards