Illinois-Chicago
Options

Security?

Has anyone hired (or is planning on hiring) security for your wedding reception? 

While I'm VERY doubtful that we'll need it, I was thinking it may be a nice thing to have "just in case."

Thoughts? 

Re: Security?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never even thought twice about needing to get that. Do you have a lot of people that are going to try to ruin the reception? Are you famous? 
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lawhitedlawhited member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha!  No, definitely not famous and also don't have a lot of unruly guests. 

Our venue has the service of an "unarmed, plain clothes secuirty guard" listed as an add-on option, so it just got me thinking.  I also think that weddings at the Chicago Cultural Center require security so was curious to feedback on that as well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_security?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:73ff40d4-0ede-4b47-9503-c8687e65c490Post:21cc9c4c-b4c7-42ca-a947-70945ca8ee04">Re: Security?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never even thought twice about needing to get that. Do you have a lot of people that are going to try to ruin the reception? Are you famous? 
    Posted by aesthyerin[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was a little unnecessary.

Lawhited, my FFIL actually inquired about security to our DOC while touring our reception venue.  At first I was a little embarassed, but he brought up a few good points as to why he asked it.  However, our venue is two blocks away from the local police station and while we don't anticipate anyone "ruining" our wedding, its a nice peace of mind for us to know that security measures are within a 5 min distance if need be.  Either way, good for you for asking about it because you aren't the only one! :)
  • Options
    lawhitedlawhited member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Love is Bald.  :)
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a budget bloater to have security, but that's just my opinion. I think that it's an option that venues have that is unnecessary. Quite honestly, I don't even see the point.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    Golfer09Golfer09 member
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone -

We did hire someone (off duty CPD officer) for security.  Our circumstances might be unique because it was NYE.  I anticipated that most people would be drinking heavily because of the occasion (NYE + Wedding).

We weren't too worried about wedding crashers - we are DEFINITELY not famous but we did get many requests from guests that had relatives in for the holidays (that we did not know well) and while they were not invited to our wedding, wanted to come anyway.

I guess I can sound snarky but I admit to being a little put off by this and in the end compromised and told them they couldn't come to dinner (catering was charging us by head) but could come after dinner (where we owned the bar and bought the liquor ourselves).

Given the fact that we were putting strangers together and knowing some family history where some people don't get along with others, I didn't want to risk overserved guests getting into fights (potentially).  Having that peace of mind was worth it. 

If anyone was curious, sure enough late into the night (1:30am) two extremely intoxicated family members started getting into a scuffle outside waiting for the shuttle bus and luckily nothing bad came out of it when my DH and the off duty police officer came out to bust it up. 

Everyone here knows their friends and family well - so I'm not saying security is a must but given my situation, I knew in the past at prior weddings and family events drama happened and I definitely didn't want that tainting my wedding memory.
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue (the Woman's Club of Evanston) actually requires that we hire security - it's in our contract. I forgot about it until I read your post! Guess I should start to figure this out...

231 Invited image 150 Attending image 81 Declined image 0 Have not replied image
    RSVP Date - June 24, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a question about who would watch the gift box.  People cruise weddings to steal the envelopes?
  • Options
    Golfer09Golfer09 member
    edited December 2011
    I had heard horror stories about this on other boards - ranging from vendor staff members with sticky fingers to guests of invitees with questionable morals.  With large weddings, some figure that the couple won't notice a "few" envelopes missing from the bunch to outright boxes being stolen.

This was another worry of mine - our card box was somewhat near the front of our venue so having a security person keep a eye on things helped.  Also, suggestions that someone from the wedding party being responsible for the box/cage/basket was offered.  Our DOC utlimately was given instructions at a certain time to pull our box and put it in the bridal dressing room. 
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just at a wedding where, during the receiving line, a staff person at the venue walked around asking if people had cards and took them from guests as it appeared later the couple did not have a card box on their gift table. To me, this was tacky, but I guess sort of a good idea. I like the idea in the pp that someone in the WP just keep an eye out for the cards/gifts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my reception at the River East Art Center downtown, but also looked at the Chicago Cultural Center.  After doing a lot of research, I ultimately scratched off the CCC because of the problem with safety they have there.  Everything from guests being mugged/harassed as they leave to gifts being stolen (which happens often there)....if you are having your reception there, definitely invest in security!

I think we will end up hiring security just to enforce/watch the art hanging in the surrounding galleries at the REAC!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards