Illinois-Chicago

Wedding Dresses...Good, Bad, Ugly.

I just booked my wedding for March 9, 2013 and my next "check" is my wedding dress. Initially, I had heard really good things about Wedding Belles in Barrington. I called to make an appointment, told her that I was a street size 14, and she was very short with me and said that I would not have many dresses to try on. I realize that they are a sample store and that I won't fit in to the size 10, but I know of other "larger than size 10" brides who had good luck there. Now I am concerned that it is going to be a huge disappointment and I don't want that for my first dress shopping experience.

So here is my question...where did you shop? What did you like/not like? I know they will have a larger selection at a bigger store, i.e., DB and HOB, but I have heard horror stories. I live in the NW suburbs. I am willing to travel, but would prefer to stay in the suburbs North, Northewest and West suburbs. Also, my budget is $1,000.

Your thoughts, suggestions, rants and raves are greatly appreciated. If you need more details, I am happy to provide. TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Dresses...Good, Bad, Ugly.

• I REALLY REALLY liked Volle in Lake Zurich, but I just needed regular sizes so not sure if they carry many plus sizes or not. sorry

Avoid Eva's..They treated me horribly
  • My daughter and I are HUGE fans of Kathryn's Bridal in McHenry.  Our initial contact with them was via email.  We told them what our price point was, and asked whether they would have much of a selection in that range (we wanted to stay under $1000 before alterations, veil, etc.).  Their response was very welcoming and encouraging.  Perhaps you could send an email their way as well and ask what type of selection they might have for your needs.

In contrast, we received a very curt response from La'Amour in Barrington, who said we might have "some" luck on their sample sale rack.  Needless to say, we did not waste our time there.

Kathryn's, for our experience, was amazing.  They have a seamstress there who does fantastic work and her prices are incredible!
  • I bought my wedding dress at the David's Bridal in the city on Elston. I had a really good experience there (my saleswoman was attentive and listened to what I wanted) and my dress was well under $1000, even with alterations. I didn't shop anywhere else . . . I kind of hate shopping, so I only had the one trip. Lucky for me I found "the one" on my first try. 

Best of luck to you!
  • Didn't see the 1000.00 part. unless you want a sample. you might have trouble at Volle with that price range.

House of Brides also had some nice dresses that were cheaper. You might want to try there, as well
  • I got mine at Royal Bridal in Villa Park for 1100.  It's a small store, but they give you lots of attention.  I HATED David's Bridal in Schaumburg.  It was a trainwreck.  Also, I loved Demetrios Bridal in Schaumburg.  THe majority I tried on were about 1100-1500 though.  Lori was a huge help there and I came very close to purchasing there.  

I also called to make an appt at Wedding Belles and was not impressed.  SHe acted like she was bothered that I made an appt.  And said you DO know this is a sample store right?  I said yes, I was aware of this.  I appreciate her wanting to give a head's up but she did it very rudely.  I canceled the appt the next day...

Good luck!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a great experience at Jasmine Galleria in Lombard: http://www.jasminegalleria.com/index.asp According to their website, they have dresses for all sizes. I bought my dress there for $600 so they are definitely within your budget. As an added bonus, they have a runway you can walk with cameras at the end so you can see the dress from the front and back at the same time!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second Volle's! I tried dresses on that were under $1,000
  • Thanks for everyone's input!

So I made an appointment for David's Bridal. I figure that I will go to a larger shop and see what I like. If I don't find my dress there, I will start making appointments at the smaller shops.

cschiano - Your dress was beautiful! Where did you have your reception? I love the pics.

Gina - Sounds like we talked to the same lady!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second Volle's - I ended up getting my dress there and they are wonderful people.  I found so many to try on in their store (I am a street 16, wedding gown 20). 

Kathryn's was TERRIBLE.  The consultant was young but did not get my style.  Then when I found a beautiful dress (the one I ended up buying from Volle's because they were awesome to me) they tried to not tell me the designer and then lied about it, saying it was a higher end one than it was.  THEN when I figured out the designer they bumped the price up $300.  Maggie Sotteros are very price specific and no one undercuts her (or they stop selling to them) and no one overprices it because no one will buy it from them.  I was shocked they thought I was so stupid.  I called and talked to the manager and she was pretty rude too when I pointed out that it was a Maggie and not the other brand they said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• We've had great experience at HOB both in Glen Ellyn and Shaumburg. We ended up ordering from the Orland Park store because it's closer to home but went to the other two because they have larger size samples. You might be able to find something there in your price range.

We saw the HOB horror stories too but we have had very good experiences there. BM dresses were very lat coming in but that was a designer issue not HOB's fault.
  • Avoid Kathryn's in McHenry! They were absolutely awful! I didn't go there for my wedding dress, but instead set an appointment for bridesmaid dresses. The consultant I had that day was totally clueless and just down right rude. You would think that with 6 bridesmaids looking for a dress, they'd want to be helpful and considerate, to earn our business. I had far superior service at David's Bridal. The experiece I had there was just a trainwreck.

I'd highly recommend Reddington Bridal in Park Ridge. That's where we ended up ordering all the bridesmaids dresses, as well as both MOB and MOG dresses. The owner Suzanne, along with the other ladies I worked with there were so incredibly nice and helpful. If I hadn't bought my dress yet, I would've bought it there. Not sure of the price range, but my cousin did get her wedding dress there for $800.

GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have liked my experience at Shelley's in West Dundee.  Mine was slightly under 1000 and is beautiful.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_wedding-dressesgood-bad-ugly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:773e3820-d32f-499c-b4fe-2edfad139738Post:7060e56f-2fe5-46b3-8c99-c7a523680781">Re: Wedding Dresses...Good, Bad, Ugly.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for everyone's input! So I made an appointment for David's Bridal. I figure that I will go to a larger shop and see what I like. If I don't find my dress there, I will start making appointments at the smaller shops. c<strong>schiano - Your dress was beautiful! Where did you have your reception? I love the pics.</strong> Gina - Sounds like we talked to the same lady!
    Posted by kangaria13[/QUOTE]
    Thanks you! I loved my dress! I just saw this - sorry for taking so long to get back to you. <div>
    </div><div>We had our ceremony and reception at Mrs. Murphy and Son's Irish Bistro. It is a restaurant in the "North Center" neighborhood (just south of Lincoln/Damen/Irving Park intersection). We had a great time :) </div>
  • I loved Volle's in Lake Zurich. Pamela was great. I am street size 20, and had many options.
  • cheap-bridal.com can offer the price under your budget.It can offer many beautiful dresses designed by many famous designers.More,dress consumer made is accessiable for all consumers.Hope it helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards