Illinois-Chicago
Options

Registry advice

So for our registries we're doign Target & Pampered Chef (I am also a consultant).  I know with Pampered Chef some of the stuff between now and then I might acquire through bonuses (Although the list is sorta long) and our Target registry isn't that big.  He's had his own place for a few years and got some really nice items then and i've loved to cook so I have a bunch of nice items already.  Should I do a registry at another place as well?  I know the people say often that people would prefer to actually buy a gift rather than give cash.  Just wondering what other people think!  Thanks!

Re: Registry advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, you sound EXACTLY like me. We haven't registered yet because our wedding isn't until April, but we were hoping to register at Target and the Pampered Chef as well. I think having two places is fine, especially because Target is a store that is fairly accessible to many of your guests. If those are the two places you want/need items from, then just do that. No sense in adding items/registries for things you really don't need. Still, I would like to know what others think too. :)

Happy planning!
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI Target has a horrible return policy on registries...from my understanding, you have to have a gift receipt for every item, you cannot use your registry as a receipt (which you can at BBB, C&B, etc) and I've heard stories about things getting mysteriously added to Target registries.

We did ours at BBB and C&B and couldn't be happier with either. Both offer a completion discount and events to buy things after your event with discounts.

I would recommend BBB over Target since BBB is everywhere and always has a coupon available. But you don't need more than 2 places IMO.
    We started our registry in Oct at a C&B event for our July wedding. Our families bought off our registry for Christmas and our birthays which is nice too.
  • Options
    geanbean03geanbean03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work for target...returns are not as bad as most people think - they keep adapting the policy.  Since your regestered once your showers are over you can print out a gift purchase log (ask the person at guest serive and they can show you) and you can return anything that was taken off your regestry (even if you have a gift reciept or not) and a lot of the time it will let you do things that are not even on your regiestry (up to $100).  After that and you still have things left over you can always use your drivers license, up to $70 per year (use your grooms too and add a extra $70) and that should take care of most of it!
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if they still do but BBB was still doing cash returns for registries.

I would say not to do Pampered Chef if you are a consultant just for what you pointed out about probably getting items you register for.

We did BBB and Macy's.  We had completion discounts at easy returns at both.  I really loved doing Macy's because I just went to State Street and we were able to finish it in two visits.  Also, if you open a Macy's card, you get the Macy's rewards based on how much of your registry gifts are purchased.

We also had smaller registries.  We lived together first and we didn't register for a lot but there are maybe 4 things between the two registries we didn't get.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with HandB.  Like Paps, we registered at BBB and C&B and had nothing but good experiences with either place.  Like Paps said, the nice thing about BBB is that they're all over.  Plus, they offer not only the completion coupon, but "regular" coupons that you can use to buy items you didn't receive.

In Oct 201 they still offered cash back returns; even for some items that you don't have a receipt for if they were on your registery.

We registered for pots/pans all individually b/c the entire set we wanted was so expensive we figured we wouldn't get it.  We ended up getting all of the individual pans; so we returned them all and got issued a check for $427.  Then we bought the entire set with BBB giftcards we'd received.

It was kind of "working the system"; but BBB is really flexible about returns; which is nice!
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered at BBB and C&B.

I just went to the C&B Outlet in Naperville (I think there's one in the city too?) and you can use your 10% complettion discuont there as well!  They had a couple of the things I had registered for (linens, kitchen stuff) already at the outlet, and also some stuff that we registered for and didn't receive at discount prices.  The completion discount is small, but it's good for 6 months after your wedding and you can use it on items that weren't even on your registry.

BBB allowed us to return things and receive cash for items even if we didn't have a gift receipt.  We registered for pots and pans but didn't receive them. We had decided we would buy them w/gift cards/money regardless, and when we did they had a promotion so we got a bonus pan and a $50 gift card! The bonus pan (it was a dutch oven) wasn't in stock so they shipped it to us for free and it came with a spoon serving utensil and dish towel.  So, it was sort of nice no one purchased them for us because we got those bonuses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards