Illinois-Chicago

Suggestions about how to get to venue

My ceremony and reception are at Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro, the second floor of the restaurant belongs to us that day/night.  I will be getting ready at my Maid of Honor's house which is 10 minutes away if that.  There's just me and my MOH, no other bridal party members.

My question is, how do I transport myself over there?  It seems really wasteful to book a limo for a 10 minute drive, and the seats in a cab might get my dress dirty.  My budget is pretty much met at this point not inlcuding transporting my guy and his 9 relatives from out of state from their hotel downtown to the venue (they get limos/cabs because there's so many of them and they don't have cars here obviously).

Oh and I mean should my MOH just drive us?  Or hop in with her sister and roommate, or my mom and brother (all going there early).  I mean I'm not looking for this formal arrival.
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Suggestions about how to get to venue

• You can book a towncar by the hour, if it is just you two.  Should be around $50 or $60.  If you call and explain what you're doing, they're likely to be willing to work with you!  
  • It still seems so wasteful, and no one will book for half an hour of course!  I'll check it out, if I can find a cheap enough for an hour I'll do it.  Thank you!

• The hourly rate of $50 or $60 would be worth it to me to know someone will be waiting, on time and with a clean car!  I'm in the same situation-- we are getting ready at the hotel we are getting married in, but will go over to the lake for photos.  Though I have a tiny budget, the money for the car ride there and back is worth it for peace of mind!

If you have someone else involved in the wedding (a planner, guest book attendant, etc) who has a clean car, you could consider them?  
  • I would say to rent the towncar or if you have a WP member with a nice and clean car. How are you getting home after?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Two other thoughts to consider......

Is your dress really large and/or complicated to get into?  You could go to the restaurant completely ready with the exception of putting on the dress.  The dress could stay protected in the garment bag.

When my daughter married last summer, even though she took a limo to church, I was overly conservative in terms of keeping the dress clean.  I bought cheap, clear plastic shower curtain liners/drop cloths from The Dollar Store.  We used one to drape across the threshold of the limo to avoid any potential oil/grease stains.  Could you just pick a few up to drape on the seat of the cab?

I took a cab mid week and I swear the car was brand new.  Is there a chance you could contact a cab company directly, explain your situation, and ask if they would send their "best" cab to you?
  • I swore limos had an hour minimum, otherwise I've only taken them to the airport which is a flat rate also.  I appreciate everyone's input and knowing I'm wrong!  $50 or 60 is fine. 

Getting home - we're staying in a hotel downtown after because coming home wouldn't feel very special (although I'm going to miss our cats ha ha).  We were just going to take a cab because it would be kind of fun to be flagging one down in our fancy clothes and a good picture opportunity.  The reception ends at 11 but if we're not too exhausted we'd stay out partying. 

My wedding party is only my MOH, and my fiancee's brother who is coming in from California.  I would get dressed at the restaurant, that is an option also since they have such big, nice bathrooms upstairs. 

• CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We took a cab after our wedding (but did the whole limo rentail thing beforehand b/c we took pics with our 10 person bridal party downtown). I think getting a car or just having your MOH drive would be totally fine. 
  • I've seen a bunch of groupons (or living social or whatever) for town cars lately.  Keep your eye out for those to save some money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards