Illinois-Chicago
Options

Groom Gift...

Hi Brides!
I just wanted to share a gift I got for my husband.  It worked out PERFECTLY.
I bought him a Country Club membership! OK wait, before you think that its outrageous read this....
Mission Hills Country Club (private) in Northbrook has had a deal for a while for 1/2 off the initiation fee.  At most places, initiation is like $10k...but at this club its based on age range.  We're 32 and it cost us $300!
So his gift was the initiation - and he LOVED it.  Now, we only pay the monthly dues to play golf....ends up being cheaper than if we just played at a random public course every week.  If your groom plays golf a lot -- I highly recommend this type of gift.  He pays close to $60 per round anyway for a crowded course...joining here lets him play at a private country club.  GREAT gift!  I never thought we would ever afford to belong to a private club.

Let me know if you have specific questions...I can try to help.  I may even be able to get you a coupon!

Re: Groom Gift...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This Person Is A Vendor,do not contact  them about this offer!!!!
  • Options
    muffin42978muffin42978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So wait, 820 posts to my 4 and I am immediately a vendor?  Maybe you "smell" one here and unfortunately its probably a common occurance, but you are mistaken.
    (man...I do smell some "Bridezilla" droppings though...geez!)

This was a great gift.  So many brides offer ideas on getting nice watches, something engraved or even cool sporty things....but this "gift" was unique because other than pictures its the one thing we STILL share all the time from our wedding.  DJ is gone, food is eaten, flowers are dead. 

Should I rephrase my post to say "I think a good gift is getting your husband/groom a golf membership"?  thats fine I guess...but immediately some brides may think its "out of reach" financially.  I mentioned the place we belong to because it happens to be a good deal right now for younger, under 40 people.  Same cost as if you or you and your husband golfed a lot. 
    I also wanted to mention because it would be fun to attract some young friends -- country clubs have usually an older/ more distinguished group.

So, if you smell a vendor - Its not me.  Maybe if I post 816 more times I can be taken more seriously. 
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP--to be honest, you have in one post that your wedding was (is?) at the Botanic Gardens and in a more recent post you say that your wedding was at the golf course
    (Mission Hills) that you posted about (twice -- once here and once on Favors which appears to have been deleted?)

So yeah, it's suspect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_groom-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:88a56ed3-fedf-4532-a825-daa39bf7f675Post:4962e313-6d1f-451c-89d8-de957f784517">Re: Groom Gift...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP--to be honest, you have in one post that your wedding was (is?) at the Botanic Gardens and in a more recent post you say that your wedding was at the golf course (Mission Hills) that you posted about (twice -- once here and once on Favors which appears to have been deleted?) So yeah, it's suspect.
    Posted by aimers1525[/QUOTE]

You have 4 posts total. 2 are in this thread. Another is in response to a golf course where you push this Mission Hills Golf Club as a venue (yet you didn't use it yourself for your wedding). You also ask for advice on a MUA but never came back to that thread. I am with Aimers thinking that you are a vendor.

And according to your profile, you got married almost a year ago.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my other post in a topic asking about golf course venues....

"We looked at this place as well as Chevy Chase.  Found one in Northbrook (Mission Hills) was much nicer and had better pricing for what you get (and the view)
    Hope this helps! "

Our wedding was 7/17/2010 at Chicago Botanic Garden.  I read it as we "found" a nice one...not "booked" a nice one.
    We looked at MANY places...as everyone should do.  When you are talking "affordable" golf course venues, yes, I do think Mission Hills is a good value. (obviously there are nicer --but cost a pretty penny!)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...well... I guess its unanimous then.  My 6 posts now don't stack up to 800, 1000+ and even 2000+ posts by the reply-ers!

I guess reading posts is fine...if you begin to offer up your own comment  be sure to have posted quite a bit to have it be worth anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards