Illinois-Chicago

online ordination

Does anyone know if people ordained on the internet can marry you in Cook County?

Re: online ordination

• edited December 2011
    Yes you can. We got a friend of ours ordained to marry us. I checked with the Cook County Clerk's office before hand to make sure it was all legit. They said it was fine and that all he needed to do was fill out our marriage license and mail it in. He got ordained through the Universal Life Church online. Good luck!
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_online-ordination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:97b2e389-0298-4af0-b31e-01bbbaaf740aPost:f853e2f1-b6dd-4900-9a0e-c6ac1d5f4231">Re: online ordination</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes you can. We got a friend of ours ordained to marry us. I checked with the Cook County Clerk's office before hand to make sure it was all legit. They said it was fine and that all he needed to do was fill out our marriage license and mail it in. He got ordained through the Universal Life Church online. Good luck!
    Posted by Believeinlove817[/QUOTE]
    Did the Cook County Clerk want a "letter of good standing" or anything like that?
  • edited December 2011
    They didn't ask for ANYTHING. When I called I asked who can legally marry in Cook County....I forgot exactly what they said, but I asked specifically about someone ordained online and if they needed anything extra and they said no. Our officiant just had to fill out the marriage license and mail it in. I was able to get my marriage certificate 3 weeks after the wedding no problem.
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_online-ordination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:97b2e389-0298-4af0-b31e-01bbbaaf740aPost:270bf613-44d8-4723-b79e-a39c0e01a28a">Re: online ordination</a>:
    [QUOTE]They didn't ask for ANYTHING. When I called I asked who can legally marry in Cook County....I forgot exactly what they said, but I asked specifically about someone ordained online and if they needed anything extra and they said no. Our officiant just had to fill out the marriage license and mail it in. I was able to get my marriage certificate 3 weeks after the wedding no problem.
    Posted by Believeinlove817[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for this! We're thinking of having FI's uncle get ordained and I've had a hard time waiting on hold for over 30 minutes with the county clerk's office with no answer. You saved me a lot of trouble :) 
  • edited December 2011
    my uncle became ordained online to do my brothers wedding (cook county).  he also did my other brothers wedding and will do mine to top it off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards