Illinois-Chicago
Options

NWR: The Burbs

Does anyone live in the suburbs?  FI and I are looking for a house.  Must haves are a Metra station, reasonable taxes, good schools.  Any suggestions???

Re: NWR: The Burbs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Downers Grove and Hinsdale. You could walk to the train station from your house. Excellent schools, great hospitals, nice parks. Shopping is decent, too. Both are near Oakbrook mall which is fantastic!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Joliet area is a good option. It is on two Metra lines, Rock Island and Heritage Corridor. Goes to LaSalle & Union Station. There are some areas better on taxes than others.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elmhurst is a really nice suburb, has a nice downtown area and good schools, and a metra line. Plus it's in Dupage county, so taxes (and other expenses) will be better than Cook.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I grew up in Hinsdale, so I love the area but the taxes there are anything but reasonable.  Plus the home values are outrageous and with so many teardowns, there are so many huge houses that its really hard for young couples to find anything reasonable there.  Clarendon Hills has slightly more reasonable homes (not by much) if you like that area, though I'm not sure what their taxes are like and imagine they are similar to Hinsdale. 

I agree with PP that Elmhurst has some really nice homes and seems like a really nice area to raise a family. 

Depending on how far away from the city you want to be, I would also recommend Naperville.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Clarendon Hills, I was a nanny for a family in Burr Ridge for a few years, and always passed by Clarendon HIlls dreaming of living there! It's beautiful.
    I will also suggest Tinley Park. It's a great neighborhood with a cute little downtown area, and great school districts! (Maybe I'm biased since I teach there...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_nwr-burbs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:993a4cad-32c2-4260-8f8d-1653fc58529cPost:a089ccfa-e3ed-4818-b0e6-5c48a3c05841">NWR: The Burbs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone live in the suburbs?  FI and I are looking for a house.  Must haves are a Metra station,<strong> reasonable taxes, good schools</strong>.  Any suggestions???
    Posted by crystalcomstock[/QUOTE]

I think you are going to find that good schools mean high taxes.

Naperville is also lovely though it is very far from the city.

Second vote for Elmhurst.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about: Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, Mokena, Lockport, Lemont? These all have one, and in some cases two Metra Stations--Rock Island, Southwest, Heritage Corridor (Union and Lasalle St. Stations).

I grew up in Orland and there is now a good mix of newer and older homes depending on the neighborhood.  New Lenox/Mokena/Frankfort are the same--lots of newer and older neighborhoods. I think, though I'm not sure, that Will County property taxes are higher than Cook.
  • Options
    mscramuzzomscramuzzo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lombard. It's the area I grew up and still love it. I'd go back there if we move back to Illinois. Elmhurst is also nice but some areas can get pricy. I also really like Downers Grove!
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well ditto most others!  I was going to suggest Elmhurst, Wheaton, Naperville, Lisle.  Parts of Lisle feed into Naperville District 203 schools, which is one of the best districts in the state.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I lived in Lisle previously and thought that the area was really nice and the Metra is smack dab in the middle of town. Now I live in the NW Suburbs...try Schaumburg, Bartlett etc...that Metra line runs from Elgin into the city with many stops in between

• Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a huge fan of Glenview (but high taxes) and Buffalo Grove. Nice thing about BG is you can live in Lake County where taxes are cheaper.
  • Options
    Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    second buffalo grove!! i grew up in mundelein and hated it so much. i moved to buffalo grove in december and love it!!! buffalo grove has so much to offer. it lies in both lake and cook county so you can choose where you would prefer to live. there's is a metra station and an AMAZING park district. also the township offers a lot...like they offer $15 lipid panels twice a month for everyone over 18 and free blood sugar screening for seniors
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards