Illinois-Chicago
Options

Downtown Hotel Price Game

I want to stay at a nice hotel on my wedding night but the prices are outrageous. I've had friends come to town and stay at 5 star hotels for about $200 a night because they booked with Hotels.com a few days before hand. 

We are not looking for a honeymoon suite or anything just a nice room.  So I suggest to my FI we keep our current reservation at the 4 star hotel and Wed the week of our wedding see if we can get a 5 star hotel for the same price online.

Has anyone tried this for their wedding?  I guess either way I won't be disappointed, since I live in Chicago I haven't stayed at many of the hotels here.

Re: Downtown Hotel Price Game

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How about priceline? We use it all the time when we go on vacation and score 4* hotels for less than $100. I am not sure if there are any 5* on priceline though.
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live out by Schaumburg and we just booked his and her suites at the Westin in Itasca. It wasn't cheap, but I would assume that it's more reasonable than a stay downtown. The reason we chose to do this is b/c I do NOT want pictures taken in our crappy apartment. So, it's part of the wedding costs that I knew we would just have to deal with.

I guess my point is, if it's not a deal breaker or going to be stressful for you to switch hotels a few days before wedding...go for it. However, I really have to wonder what the difference would be between a 4 star and a 5 star hotel. They're both going to be really nice. If it's a splurge for you go for what you want.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try www.hotwire.com. You don't know the name of the hotel until after you book, but they are very cheap.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It really depends on the weekend in question.  What time of year is it?  What else is going on that weekend?   The rates flucuate so much.  You can certainly play the wait game but I don't think most of the 5 star properties lower their price unless their occupancy is really really low--that's possible if it's the dead of winter, but otherwise probably not.  If you have an existing reservation at a nice 4 star, yes hang onto that and you can always keep checking back to see if the rates go down at the 5 star.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i second the hotwire recommendation by jess - if you are familiar with the layout of the city this is a great way to go

if you aren't - i'm happy to help you out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Elysian Hotel.  It's a brand new luxury 5-star hotel that ranks up there with Peninsula and Trump.  I love it!!  Because they are new they are able to give crazy deals.  I'm getting rooms there for me and some of our guests in a suite for $260 per night..regularly $600 a night.  www.elysianhotels.com
    Me: 35/Hubs: 35 - just moved to Minneapolis from Chicago. TTC for 18 months and expecting baby #1 April 18, 2012! Needed IVF after a few failed rounds of IUI and it worked!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards