Illinois-Chicago
Options

Alterations needed for plus size bride

I am a plus size bride and have always had problems with getting alterations done.  It seems that not many of the ones I've been to realize that a plus size person comes in many different body types and that you can't just use the same alteration techniques/ratios as you would on a smaller person.  I am also 6' tall so my alterations may be a challenge.

The last woman I used (who came highly recommended) was a 4'10, 70lb woman who barely spoke English but knew enough to say "Oh, you big girl, ah?" and "Oh, you mother feed you good, eh?" and - my favorite - "You need stop eating so much.  You too big."  That is NOT the type of experience I want to go through again, as it was rather humiliating and unpleasant.

Are there any plus size brides out there who have someone they have used successfully?  I know most seamstresses will say they CAN do the alterations, but I'm looking specifically for someone with extensive experience with plus sized customers.  I live just a few minutes from O'Hare.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Alterations needed for plus size bride

• Options
    Mary Catomy is highly recommended on this board. I think someone posted her contact info in a thread below, or you can find her info on Yelp.
  • Options
    I've definitely heard of her, and she's not far from me.  But I was wondering if she had experience with bigger girls.  If anyone can answer that, I'd appreciate it.  (And I'm talking street size 24, not street size 14.  lol)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    My mom, sisters, and I are all plus-sized and had our alterations done by Julia Needlman, who is a larger woman herself. She is really knowledgable about what looks good on different body types. She was able to alter all of our dresses to look like they were custom made for us and did it at a great price. Even my mom, who is ridiculously nitpicky, was happy with her dress.

The only hesitation about Julia is that she owns cats. She works out of her home in Chicago and lets the cats lounge around. She will put them away if you want, but it might still be an issue if you have allergies.

Also, you have to park on the street in a permit-only area, but she gives you a permit to use. We never had any issues finding a spot to park, but I thought I'd mention it.

http://www.julianeedlman.com/
    773-750-2180
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards