Illinois-Chicago

Proposal Stories?

It's been somewhat quiet around here...maybe it's just so many of you getting close to the Big Day! and/or the warmer weather...but I'm nosy, so tell me your proposal stories!

Were you surprised?  Did you help pick on the ring?

Re: Proposal Stories?

• jsquared62009jsquared62009 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally helped pick the ring which some people give me a hard time about, but I'm the one wearing it so I wanted to make sure i LOVED it. As for the actual proposal, he totally surprised me. We were at a friend's wedding and I had said we should get a hotel room. Little did I know that while we were at the reception our other friends were sneaking into our room to set it up with rose petals, candles, champagne, and framed pics of us. I was completely shocked when we got back to the room! He turned on our song and we started dancing (and then I knew). Then he had me turn around and had to fumble around the drawers to find where they had stashed the ring lol. I turned back around and he was on one knee...I then proceeded to knock the ring out of his hand in excitement...it's good he didn't do it near water or a ledge! We decided to just call our parents and then waited til the morning to call everyone else so that we could just enjoy the evening Smile
    Vacation
  • kellym050370kellym050370 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is a second wedding for both Jeff and I and we both have emotional damage from our first divorces.  When I met Jeff he was pretty clear that he never had any intention of marrying again.  So when our first Christmas came around, I was looking at regular rings, not engagement rings because I knew that he didn't want to get married and we had the mantra of "if it's not broke, don't fix it."  So the small box was under our tree for a couple weeks and I figured it was either a semi-precious stone or earrings.  He gave it to me on Christmas Eve in front of my family and I figured "oh it's definitely just earrings or whatever because my family is here."  So I opened the box and it was a very pretty ring, but not a diamond solitare so I said "oh this is lovely" and he ended up proposing!  I said "wait, we always said if it's not broke don't fix it!'  He said "No, YOU always say that!" 

• KATERS882KATERS882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hz80408...... I know you are married already but what is your proposal story?
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cute! Those are so fun!

Like Jsquared...DH and even MIL thought it was really important that I was a part of the picking out the ring process since it was me who'd be wearing it.  When we looked and picked out the ring DH's question was: "So if I order this today, when will I receive it".  They said 6 wks, and I went home and marked my calendar.

Well...about 6 months later:
    DH used to wake up early to the gym  and I'd sleep in  until 9:30 or 10. So, when B woke up early Saturday August 29th  2009 to go to the gym and I stayed in bed, it seemed like a typical Saturday.

B texted me at 9 am saying that he ended up taking Oscar (a puppy at the time) for a walk, and Oscar was doing so well that they made it to the dog beach (on Lake Michigan, about a mile from our apartment). He suggested that I run to the beach and meet them to play.

I ran with my phone because B is notorious for telling me to go somewhere and then not being there when I arrive.  I ran to the beach and couldn’t see them, so I called and he said to follow the parking lot and they were hanging out at a grassy part on the end of the pier.

By this point, I knew something was going on because there was no way the Oscar could walk that far (one way), let alone have energy to play at the beach and be able to make it home. So I kept running and eventually saw them from a distance. B was wearing jeans and a polo - not your usual gym attire.

When I got closer B picked Oscar up and got down on one knee…then Irealized that Oscar was wearing a leather collar that said “Will you marry me”, and there was a ring hanging off of the collar. Afterward, B pulled back the blanket he had been sitting on to reveal another blanket underneath with roses spread around, champagne, and a picnic breakfast.

It truly was the perfect moment and day! I seriously felt like I was in a movie.

Later that B surprised me with reservations for dinner at Signature Lounge.

Come to find out, he had ordered the ring that day we went to jewelry store in March...but his sister got married in July and he didn't want to take away from her excitement...which is nice, but I would have loved to been engaged at her wedding! Lol.
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_proposal-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:aa3d9fb0-c429-4e35-a082-78b93fec3dddPost:9f91368d-2859-4b0b-89fe-efb76a97cf6a">Re: Proposal Stories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hz80408 ...... I know you are married already but what is your proposal story?
    Posted by KATERS882[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking :O)
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cute idea :)

FI was planning to design something custom (I found out after the fact), but on our 2 year anniversary we went to the Field Museum and were looking in the hall of gems when he realized that he had no idea what I liked, even though I had sent him tons of photos (at his request). On the way out of the Museum he asked me if I might be interested in going to look at some rings right then. . . it was on the way to our next stop for date night, so I said sure. We looked at rings, I found a few that I really liked and one that I loved, and he seemed satisfied. 

Two weeks later we went to the Christkindlemarket to look for gifts before heading out to Colorado to see his family for Christmas (I was convinced he'd propose on our trip). Long story short, after browsing around for awhile he asked if I wanted to go look at the big Christmas tree. We walked over there and he made a little speech, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was in shock the whole time, and I think I may have said "is this real life?" I also said yes, obviously.  

The ring was the one I had loved at the jewelers . . . I didn't think he'd actually buy that specific one! It was a really sweet proposal, and I love Christmas, so I think he picked the perfect place! Not to mention he totally surprised me, despite the fact that I was expecting it to happen soon. 
  • edited December 2011
    I actually wasn't involved in picking out the ring, I did send some hints so he had an idea of what I liked. Actually about a week before he proposed we were downtown walking around and he said he wanted to go into Tiffany's to see if a decanter he wanted was still there and I casually walked around the ring counter (like I always do) and he asked if I liked a couple of the rings in their. Little did I know he had already bought it and was trying to see if I would like it :)

I was complety surprised by the proposal. It was a typical lazy Saturday and we had gone to the park and had a picnic in the afternoon, then when we got back it was around 5 o'clock or so and he just says that we should go to Il Mulino for dinner. We had gone there for our 1 year anniversary, which I figured was a little strange. When we got there 2 dozen roses were on the table. After dinner we went to dempster beach, and as we were walking up I see a table with candles and rose petals and a cd player playing our songs. We danced to our songs then he got down on one knee. I was so happy that I ran and jumped on him and talked him in the sand :) I didn't even look at the ring till we got back in the car.

Definetly one of the best days of my life. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we have 2 proposals and I helped pick my ring--my main stone was passed down to FI by his mom (it was her dad's stone) so we designed my ring together.

#1 was on our 5 year anniversary (10/08). We got a hotel downtown and planned for dinner at Carmine's. We got down there early and decided to walk down by the lake front so K could get some skyline pics for his mom. We ended up walking all the way down to the Shedd where I promptly sat on a ledge and K was taking pictures on a hill. He asked for me to take a self-portrait and after I did he was down on 1 knee and I do not remember what he said but he asked me!

#2 was almost 2 years later (4/10), we had delayed the wedding due to family drama and he had taken my ring in to get resized and redipped. We went to a Straight No Chaser concert (almost 6 years to the day of the first time we saw them in college) and we started talking about my ring and the wedding. I asked him if he knew when it would be ready and he put his forefinger and thumb together to make a circle and put it on my ring finger and asked if it looked familiar. I said no that it's bigger than I remember. I looked at the stage and when I looked back at him again, he was holding my ring and said he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and would I still marry him. I asked if he was serious then I said yes again.

• edited December 2011
    I was totally suprised by the proposal. We had discussed marriage off and on but hadn't gotten serious enough to discuss rings or dates etc. We had been living in two different cities so I assumed we'd wait until I returned to Chicago and we got settled back in.

On my spring break from grad school last year, I came up for a visit. I didn't know at the time but he had been planning a propsal that week for several months and had ordered a custom ring...that didn't come in in time. He still went ahead with the plan though. We went to Geja's which is our place. It's where he took me on our first date. Then we went to Navy Pier and we walked all the way to the end. It was about to close for the night so it was deserted. He started making this little speech and I was like what are you talking about?? and then he got down on one knee and asked me. He didn't have my ring but I didn't even care. I was so excited. It was actually really fun because we didn't tell many people until he was able to get my ring to me. It was like our special secret for about a month!
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Love hearing the stories!

I was totally surprised by mine as well - my FI is in law school so we agreed that it made sense to wait until he was done with school to even start to think about wedding plans. I had given him some ideas of the rings I liked and we actually went to look one time about a year before he actually bought it.

He was planning to come home the weekend before valentines day so we could go out to dinner and when he got him I gave him a small gift I had gotten him and he pulled out a card for me. In side the card was a cute little poem that he wrote and as I read it he got down on one knee and proposed!  I found out later that earlier in the day he had gone to my parents house to show them and my sister the ring, which meant a lot to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_proposal-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:aa3d9fb0-c429-4e35-a082-78b93fec3dddPost:13a30241-cd54-48a0-a97b-bc6bd427fc34">Re: Proposal Stories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we have 2 proposals and I helped pick my ring--my main stone was passed down to FI by his mom (it was her dad's stone) so we designed my ring together. Posted by MrsPaps[/QUOTE]

2 things; 1. My centerstone is an heirloom from MIL also!  (actually it's a cool story; it was passed into FIL's family from the Deere-Wiman family; as in John Deere farm equipment:O)

2. I love Carmines!  They have some of the best tortellini in town.
  • edited December 2011
    A while before FI ever got engaged, I sent him an email with some ideas for rings I liked and specific things I didn't want in a ring.  I didn't want to be involved in the planning process at all but there were a few things that I really would have hated if I got and wanted to just be sure we avoided those :)

Fast forward probably 2 years.  I had just graduated law school and started working.  FI and I signed a lease for a place together and he said that he wanted to get situated with the living together thing before we really talked about getting engaged.  So Christmas 2009, I was not expecting a ring AT ALL.  I had to work Christmas Eve morning, so I took the train out to my parents after work and my FI picked me up.  We were having a Christmas party at my parents that night, so I didn't think it was weird that he was going to be out at my parents.  We get back to my house and no one was home.  Didn't really think much of it because again, I thought everyone was out on Christmas party related errands.  I put my stuff down and walked over to the Christmas tree.  FI asked me what the ornament on the tree was with the tag on it.  Once again, I thought my mom bought a new ornament because of the party.  So I go over and look at the ornament, which was an Eiffel Tower ornament and it had a tag on it with my name that said turn around.  I, being the idiot I am, turn the tag over, which also said turn around because FI knew exactly what I would do.  So I'm still clueless - I'm thinking maybe he planned a trip to Paris for my Christmas present but other than that, not really sure what's going on.  I turn around and see FI on one knee and my jaw hit the floor.  He said seeing me so suprised caused him to forget everything he planned on saying but he eventually got out "Will you marry me?"  And somewhere along the way, I remembered to say yes! 

The Eiffel Tower ornament was significant because when I was in high school, I basically interrupted two people getting engaged on top of the Eiffel Tower while I was trying to take pictures.  Ever since then, I thought it would be so romantic to get engaged there.  FI said that it wasn't quite Paris, but he didn't want to wait until we actually got there to propose! 
  • edited December 2011
    FI proposed on New Years Eve at Buckingham Fountain as the fireworks started going off. It was the night when New Years Eve was like 30 below or something ridiculous. He always says that I have a positive feeling about long underwear now that I was wearing it the night we got engaged.

We definitely picked out the ring together.
    Anniversary image
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_proposal-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:aa3d9fb0-c429-4e35-a082-78b93fec3dddPost:1346c6db-bef4-49e2-bdc1-69a9d9300efc">Re: Proposal Stories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proposal Stories? : 2 things; 1. My centerstone is an heirloom from MIL also!  (actually it's a cool story; it was passed into FIL's family from the Deere-Wiman family; as in John Deere farm equipment:O) 2. I love Carmines!  They have some of the best tortellini in town.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]
    Carmine's is amazing! we always see people when we go there!
  • edited December 2011
    When I got home from work on New Year's Eve, FI surprised me with flowers, chocolate, and champagne. He even made filet mignon. I was sitting in the living room and our two dogs ran in. A bell was ringing and I thought Ben had given them a new toy to play with. I tried to see what was making the noise and saw a red bell tied to the collar of one of the dogs. Attached to the bell was an engagement ring! He got down on one knee and ask me to marry him. Of course I said yes!

I wasn't directly involved in picking out my engagement ring, but I did show FI examples of rings I liked. He and I seemed to like the same style of rings, so I was confident he would pick out something I liked. I wasn't diappointed! I absolutely love my ring and have gotten a lot of compliments on it.
  • jsquared62009jsquared62009 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love all the stories!!! Seems like all of our guys did great jobs! Smile

p.s. hz80408...I would have gone NUTSOS waiting for 6 months after hearing it could be ready in 6 weeks! lol kudos to you
    Vacation
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_proposal-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:aa3d9fb0-c429-4e35-a082-78b93fec3dddPost:14e256da-5ad4-4e1a-8325-bc52da80bda2">Re: Proposal Stories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love all the stories!!! Seems like all of our guys did great jobs! p.s. hz80408...I would have gone NUTSOS waiting for 6 months after hearing it could be ready in 6 weeks! lol kudos to you
    Posted by jsquared62009[/QUOTE]

haha, seriously, it was like every day/event, I wondered if it was going to happen.

And I agree, thanks for sharing your stories ladies!!
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    Cony - our engagements are somewhat similar!  And i LOVE your siggy pic!! too cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards