Illinois-Chicago
Options

Nigerian / African-American Wedding

I performed at a great wedding yesterday (5/29/11) at The Odyssey Country Club in Tinley Park, IL.  The groom (Charles) is from Nigeria and the bride (Janine) is African-American which required putting together a musical arrangement that catered to the traditions and tastes of both cultures.  Line dancing music like the Casper Slide and DJ Quik's "Get Down" also known as the "Gangster Slide", and the "Wobble" song always gets people of all backgrounds on the dancefloor.  I also played some long-playing Chicago Steppers songs like R. Kelly's "Step in the Name of Love" and "Happy People" which packed the dancefloor with couples of all ages.  After this, Janine and Charles changed clothes from their American wedding gown and tuxedo into traditional African wedding garments and danced together to "African Queen" by 2 Face Ibidia.  At this point I focused on playing traditional Nigerian music as we got closer to the Broom Jumping ceremony where everyone got up and surrounded the couple as they symbolically jumped over a decorative broom into their new lives together.  After the Broom Jumping ceremony, I played Nigerian music, Afro-Hip Hop, & Reggae from artists like P-Square and Jah Cure.  After this, the groom's family surrounded the couple in a circle and began throwing money at them to show their support and commitment.  As the evening went on, I transitioned into some current Hip-Hop and R&B from artists like Chris Brown, Jamie Foxx, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Wale and Lupe Fiasco.  It was great to see both cultures appreciate the music of the other and participate in the dancing and rituals as one.  I always enjoy putting together unique customized playlists like this one for clients of all cultures.

Learn more @ http://www.djkelwin.com/weddingservices.html 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards