Illinois-Chicago

Room 1520/Aeree Loft - contractual issue?

Hello Knot ladies.  New to these parts with a random question.  

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this venue?  We're having an issue with them around liquor licensing and service and we're trying to resolve it.  I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with this venue.

Kind of a long story - basically what they told us up front is not what they're telling us now about the timeframe of our reception and local liquor statutes.  And the contract is very vague.  Karolina Warren is our coordinator and has been handling most of our details (booked her after we signed the contract unfortunately).  She's helping us sort through this mess.  She suggested I come here and put feelers out to see if anything like this has happened before so we can know if it's just a miscommunication on all of us, or if it's a pattern with the venue.  

Thank you all in advance and happy weddings.  :)

Re: Room 1520/Aeree Loft - contractual issue?

• edited April 2012
    Sounds like she is takling about the time the liquor can be served til or the number of hours it can be since she referenced time frames.
  • Oh my gosh, I didn't see a response for several days so I never checked this thread again, sorry!  I was just randomly looking at my profile and saw the post.

Just in case anyone see this - yes the issue was timeframe.  At booking, the venue coordinator told us we could serve liquor as long as we wanted, and our reception lasted until 4am (cultural thing, H's family is Polish.)

Anyway, the problem was when we started approaching liquor licensed servers and asking them to serve until 2:30 or 3am, we didn't realize we were actually asking them to break the law due to the length of our reception.  We were beating our heads against the wall trying to figure out why nobody wanted to work with us.  We kept asking the venue why nobody would return our calls, they said they didn't know, and then referred us to a vendor that was horribly rude and we didn't understand why we were being treated this way.  Come to find out through a cycle of emails with our DOC that anytime we contacted a bartending vendor, they contacted the venue to state we were breaking the law, but nobody communicated that to us, and the coordinator never connected the dots that she misrepresented the law to us, which was unfortunately part of what enticed us to book at that venue.  It took a flippant remark to the guy from Binny's to elicit an honest response that finally set us straight and educated us about the law, which is a City law that is different from the County/State law.

In the end it all worked out, we're happily married, the wedding was great, and everybody had enough to drink.  Aeree even refunded half our money before the wedding to make amends for the misinformation, which was very gracious on their part and we appreciated the gesture.  

Just wanted to close the loop with information in case anybody pulled this post on a search and got confused.  Aeree is great.  We were all just confused for a minute.  :)

Happy weddings everyone.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards