Illinois-Chicago
Options

Reviews on Tipsy Cakes?

Recently saw them at a bridal show and everything looked good and tasted good. Went online to visit their website. Did a search & WOW look at the reviews, they're terrible. What's everyone's experience? Did they just rub some people wrong or is this a stay away from place?

Re: Reviews on Tipsy Cakes?

• Options
    I've heard some varying reviews as well.  I will say that my BM's bought a cake there for my bachlorette party and it was good. A little heavy on the fondant, but the actually cake was delicious.
  • Options
    DO NOT GO TO TIPSY CAKE.

PM me if you want the whole long story.

I went there for a tasting and had the most awful experience. The owner Naomi didnt show up to the tasting we has scheduled 4 weeks in advance. So I met with her staff who were beyond rude and didnt know the cake and selections. (I can elaborate if you want)

The staff did not help Fi and i pair flavors or pick a design. And they openly said my $1500 budget was "a little small"

As I left a called my wedding planner and told her I wouldnt be using Tipsy cake. The next day Naomi called and literally yelled at me for not selecting her as my baker. Saying she didnt understand why I wouldn't give her a second chance. Then she yelled that tipsy cake and I weren't a good fit. The phone call only re- confirmed why I wasn't using her.

Read the yelp review. Also Naomi did an interview with City sole where she made fun of Humbolt Park and all the crime in the area.

If you are looking for a place similar to tipsy cake but that treats their customers nicely and that has better cake. Go to Take the Cake or Amy Beck. I am using both. They had 10x the customer service that Tipsy Cake had and the cake was better.

Sorry for the long post but I have never had such a horrible customer service experience than with Tipsy Cake
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, no, no, no NOOOOOO!!! Please look into other bakeries. There are hundreds of places you can go that are much better than Tipsy Cake. Seriously. 

You can also PM if you want the whole story, but we went there for a tasting. I saw the reviews and figured it was at least worth it to try it out because their website is cute and their cakes look incredible.

Like the poster before me, Naomi, the owner, didn't even show up for the tasting. The staff member at the counter said she had "just stepped out." Why would you just step out for something when you knew you had a couple coming for a tasting. We stayed there for over a half an hour waiting for her and while we were able to taste their cake selections, we weren't all that impressed. However, the girl who was working there was pretty sweet and kept apologizing. While talking to her, we told her that we really liked the Chicago skyline cakes and that we'd like one on our cake. A few hours after leaving, we received an email from Naomi saying and I quote, "I can do an amazing Chicago skyline cake for $1000."

She didn't know what flavors we wanted. She didn't know how big the cake needed to be because she didn't know how many people the cake was for. She didn't know our colors or how many tiers we wanted... she knew nothing and yet she wanted that much. We went to other places for our 120 people wedding and the highest we were ever praised was around $730 (including tax and delivery).

I know it's overwhelming to look into bakeries because there are hundreds if not thousands of them in Chicago, but there are MUCH better choices out there and you will get better customer service (not to mention a tasty cake).

We're having ours cake at BAKE and although we haven't had the actual wedding yet, I'm so happy with what Jennifer, the owner, has done with us so far. She's fabulous and so kind and great at getting back to me whenever I had a question or concern. Our second option was Bittersweet located on Belmont. We talked with Amy and again, great person and communication and the cakes were delicious. We had some minor miscommunications with Bleeding Heart Bakery, but they made up for it (in my opinion) and I would suggest looking into them as well. Please please please go elsewhere for your wedding cake needs. You'll be much happier.
  • Options
    Definitely DO NOT even consider Tipsy Cakes....I ordered a cake from there for my future mother in law's birthday, and it was the ugliest cake I have ever seen in my life.  It was decorated with squiggly brown frosting that looked like poop all over the cake.  Naomi is unbelievably horrible to deal with... when we called to compain she threatened to call the cops about us harassing her!!!  I seriously have never dealt with such a bad business in my entire life or seen an uglier cake. I wish I had seen the bad reviews before ordering... I don't know how this place stays in business.
  • Options
    Overpriced and not all that great.  The owner is so arrogant and rude. 
  • Options
    For my venue (w city center) if u do the cake through their package,u only can choose between alliance bakery or tipsy. And after the reviews on yelp, I was sooooo happy alliance had such good service. WHEW! Sorry to anyone having to deal with tipsy, it sounds too crazy to be true!
  • Options
    Wow, I have had the exat opposite things happen with Tipsy Cake. Naomi has been very nice, she's been laid back with us and came up with a great idea and great price. The cakes there are delicious and it's been wonderful working with her.

I think for us we like a hand off approach and that was what the tasting was. They provided us with the cakes and frostings/fillings and let us just enjoy everything on our own. Once we were finished with the tasting, Naomi came over and talked with us about ideas and designs. She actually convinced me to do something that I believe will end up much better and at a more reasonable price than what I had budgeted for.

I just thought I'd let you know my experience with Tipsy Cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards