Illinois-Chicago
Options

Craft stores - Need more selection!

I really want to start my DIY stuff, like letter cake topper, card box, unity candle, etc. I don't want to go with the cookie cutter stuff at Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby...not to mention that I haven't really found anything I like at those places.

Does anyone know of any other big craft stores...anywhere in the Chicagoland area would work. I will travel for a large selection.

TIA...as always!
When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio

Re: Craft stores - Need more selection!

• Options
    morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think online might be your best option... I know there are a few vendors on the making it personal board that get used a lot for the cake topper letters...  For our card box I took a plain mailbox from Home Depot and painted The Ourlastname and our wedding date, then my dad cut a slot in the top.  I thought it came out cute!  For our unity candle, I used a plain one from one of the craft stores and added leftover ribbon from our invitations and a  leftover tag from the front of our program to give it a more custom look. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my letter cake topper from craftyeddy@gmail.com. Just email him and ask to see pics. (PIB) I ordered the rhinestones for the topper from ebay. Are there any specific supplies that you need? Most of the websites I know of just kind of specialize in one thing.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    kmrazekkmrazek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try etsy.com to see if there are supplies people sell on there that would work.  You could also see if there is someone that makes what you want for a reasonable cost, and that way it isn't "cookie-cutter" looking. 

As for my card box, I found a few on etsy.com that I liked, and I just saved two boxes from Christmas presents, painted them white with $0.99 poster paint from Walmart, cut a slot in the top, wrapped them in satin (~$10 from JoAnn), tied a wide satin ribbon around in one of my wedding colors, and I had one for less than $20 when they were selling them for $50+. 

Also, sign up for the emails from Michael's, because you get 40% off coupons every week (sometimes 50%, sometimes 20% off entire purchase including sale items) that work on one non-sale item.  You can print out multiple copies, take the fiance with, and buy two things for 40% off each.  You usually get coupons every time you buy something too that print off with your receipt.  I think JoAnn fabrics takes their coupons also, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love etsy, but I think I can do some of that kind of stuff myself...or I would at least want to try. I can always revert back to a store bought one. I've seen some really fancy cardboxes that I want to try to replicate but the supplies are eluding me.

I really like the idea of the mailbox, Morgie! Would you mind if I borrowed your idea, please? So fun!!

I think I might have to be a bit more creative than I originally thought I needed to be.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I really appreciate it.

When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of supplies are you looking for?  I agree with others who say to check out etsy or even google images for whatever you're looking for - then you can figure out what supplies you need. 

Most of my ideas have come from save-on-crafts.com and Martha Stewart's website.  I can usually see something and think "Ooh, I bet that would be awesome if I changed xyz." 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

So I just found out about this store that might work, it's in Alsip/Frankfort so maybe a little far.... but it's the Alsip Nursery. Apparently they have an amazing selection, plus they sell just about everything. They have a website: www.alsipnursery.com

If you are looking online try saveoncrafts.com

• Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah, I know Alsip Nursery! My mom lives over there. We would go there every spring for her flowers. =)

Thanks so much for your help ladies! I'm so excited...and nervous...to get started.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards