Illinois-Chicago
Options

NWR: plane anxiety

Long story short, I had a really bad plane ride April 2010 and after that one ride I seriously considered never flying again.  Ive flown a few times after that hoping I would be okay but I've concluded that I have some moderate anxiety issues now(serious hand sweating, any abrupt movement freaks me out)... Im trying to keep it together but I think I need to go the route of self medicating.  Does anyone recommend (or Is there) anything over the counter that is available for anxiety, or anything to help with flying?  I wanted to go this route first before going to the doc about it. 

I have another flight next week and im taking my 83 year old grandmother and I need to really keep calm because I dont want to freak her out either with my ridiculousness.  Any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks :)

Re: NWR: plane anxiety

• Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my friend who hates flying takes dramamine before flying. Helps her relax.

You can also talk to your doc about getting xanex for the flight, that will really help you chill out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dramamine is common.  I would ask for Valium before Xanax though...it's more mild, and won't have as many side effects.

I was given Valium before I had LASIK, and it totally chilled me out without impairing me. 

I was having PTSD symptoms after flipping my car on 55 a few years ago, and Xanax completely messed me up.  I was not funtional.

Just my 2 cents!

Disclaimer - I do not take any anti-axiety or anti-depression medication regularly....these were both isolated experiences, and I had never taken anything like them before, so the recommendation is pure!!
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also - you should ABSOLUTELY test anything you might take for anxiety on a plane in a safe environment beforehand.  You DO NOT want to find out you react badly to any kind of medication while you are stuck on a plane!
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_nwr-plane-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:cfb59e86-a3c2-410f-b251-03b6dac9256bPost:b1b7eb5b-15ce-4f64-9d42-40f7ab45c471">Re: NWR: plane anxiety</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also - you should ABSOLUTELY test anything you might take for anxiety on a plane in a safe environment beforehand.  You DO NOT want to find out you react badly to any kind of medication while you are stuck on a plane!
    Posted by PenelopeSnuz[/QUOTE]

Yep, this is exactly why I dont think I can get to the doc and test any kind of Rx meds before this flight on Wednesday.  I react badly to just about everything I take (if I ever got a staph infection, im in some serious trouble!).  Thanks for the tips so far ladies! keep 'em comin!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I have no great OTC med recs, I just wanted to wish you luck and say hang in there! :)

Generally, DH is asleep before the plane takes off so I'm left by myself to enjoy an adult beverage to help relax (obviously do not combine with meds)

Super safe and un-eventful travel for you my dear! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So, dramamine is an anti-histamine and probably works by just putting you to sleep.  I would recommend dramamine or benedryl, both of which will put you to sleep.  I take benedryl to sleep when I can't fall asleep at home, in fact bendryl (diphenhydramine) is what is in all the over the counter sleep aids.  If I take two, I'm OUT LIKE A LIGHT.  I would just recommend taking the meds ~1 hour before getting on the plane.

I'm not sure about dramamine, but I know bendryl does not help w/ anxiety; however, assuming that they are both in the same drug class (anti-histamine), I would assume that dramamine doesn't help w/ anxiety either.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have pretty awful motion sickness/anxiety on planes.  I started using sea-bands which are at most pharmacys behind the counter.  It's a wrist band that applies pressure to a trigger point on your wrist.  Unfortunately, I had a teething pup that ate one of my bands, so now I just use Kinesiotape or a rigid tape to apply pressure at the wrists works well.  I've used both and they've helped.  :)  Dramamine just makes me nauseous, so I try to go the unmedicated route whenever possible.
    (I have some kinesiotape if you are interested, pm me)

Good luck!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This doesn't really help you for your flight now but if it's something you can't clear up with meds or you don't like meds...I'd try to find a therapist that offers EMDR treatments. I thought it was really wacky until I gave in and tried it. It's helped immensely with my anxiety. If yours is just mild/moderate it may only take one or two sessions.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards