Illinois-Chicago
Options

Opinion-Cktl Hour Entertainment

I was inspired by another Knottie to look into Carolers for my 1-hour cocktail hour prior to dinner and am very tempted to book for my 12-11-10 wedding. My FI is not crazy about the idea because he wants our Dec wedding to be a wedding and not a holiday party. Another friend suggested it might be distracting to have A Christmas Caroling Quartet if people are trying to mingle and socialize? 

Two questions here:
 1.) Too christmassy?
 2.) Too distracting during a cocktail hour?

Re: Opinion-Cktl Hour Entertainment

• Options
    raeynraeyn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually think it's a really cool idea. I don't think it would prevent people from mingling, and it might actually be a good conversation starter. I wouldn't do it if your FI is really against it, though.
    imageimage
    BFP on Jan. 18; EDD Oct. 1
    EDD Oct. 1image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree with raeyn! Then again, I love Christmas and totally tune in to the Lite when they play non-stop Christmas music after Thanksgiving. If your fiance is against it, then eh, skip it.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I think if this is the ONLY uber christmassy element of the evening, then it would still feel like a wedding. Our band is not going to play anything else holiday-like for the rest of the evening. We are going to do some of our favorite tunes either Jason Mraz or Michael Buble for dinner music. I'll talk to FI again.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm guessing I'm the other Knottie with the Christmas wedding...

If your husband to be isn't into the idea of carolers during the cocktail hour, or making things too Christmas themed, then definitely don't hire carolers. Nothing screams Christmas like carolers.
    We both completely planned for and embraced the spirit of Christmas at our wedding and that was reflected  throughout the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. Our guests, of all ages,  LOVED the carolers. (mainly because
     their a cappella singing talent  was AMAZING)  Our room was large and it accommodated the singing without it being overpowering.  People were able to mingle about, or stand and listen if they wanted. We  had  them for a half hour longer, because it added so much to the atmosphere, spirit of the room.  If your budget allows, having  a source of entertainment during the cocktail hour is a great way to set the tone for the rest of the reception. Keep researching all of the different types of entertainment available for cocktail hour, and find something that you'll both enjoy.  Happy planning!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you are the knottie with the fabulous Christmas Wedding.  I loved reading about all of the interesting personal touches you added.  At first, I wanted to use the carolers AND the Santa Charlie.  Both are still under consideration, but I'll take your advice and explore other options to make sure we find the best fit for both of us.
  • Options
    05.05.1005.05.10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having entertainment at dinner rather than cocktail hour. we figured people will be mingling& showing up during cocktail hour, it might be too much. plus for what we're planning, people should be there from the beginning. during cocktail hour we're just having background music, then we'll cut the cake & sit for dinner. entertainment for an hour, then dj during dancing. we love how its coming together! its going to be such a fun surprise for our guests!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oooh. that's an idea, too! Maybe during dinner???!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards