Illinois-Chicago

Promontory Point anyone???

Found this Promontory Point in Chicago on a website that looks nice.  Just wondering if anyone has had a reception there becuse I don't know much about it.  Thanks!

Re: Promontory Point anyone???

• maybride618maybride618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to a wedding there but we did check it out when we were looking at venues.  It's right on the lakefront in the Hyde Park area.  The views of the skyline are great!  But it depends what size wedding you're planning to have...it is a small space.  If I remember correctly, the max # of guests was around 75 for the reception.  Tables would then need to be cleared in order to make space for a dance floor.  Parking is difficult too.  I think there is a community lot, but you're not allowed to reserve a certain number of spaces.  Here's the email for the contact person in case you want more info:   Diane.Hren@chicagoparkdistrict.com
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!!!  Just curious, where did u decide to have yours???
  • maybride618maybride618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem!  We decided on the Garfield Park Conservatory.  We wanted an outdoor wedding but were too nervous about Chicago weather, so the conservatory is perfect for us since we'll have the outdoors inside.  I've heard the 63rd Street Beach House is neat too if you're checking out other Chicago Park District venues.  But keep in mind that any of the Chicago Park District sites give you a list of preferred caterers, and you are required to purchase insurance as well to cover use of the site.  Good luck with your planning!!!
  • stoney41stoney41 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony there for a pretty penny. I've only been to ceremonies here....my fiance proposed here so this is why we want to get married here. Too book the venue it is $2,200 for 4 pm to 11pm ($1,200 for 10 am to 2pm but that meant we had to get married at 12pm)....the lady who runs the facility is very rude and shredded my application when i told her I needed to discuss my budget with family because they have tripled their price since last years rates (my friends got married here in 2006 for $400!!!!!!) This place is in very high demand so book soon!! It is a gorgeous spot if you can do...also ask to see a list of their preferred vendors (the only ones you can use) to make sure it won't inflate your budget like it has mine....
  • Oh my gosh! I can't believe she shredded your application!! We loved the venue so we submitted our application for October 2014 and will have ~100-120 guests and now I'm worried since it's lakeside and a lot will have to happen outside d/t space constraints. It is SUCH a beautiful venue with great views but after hearing all of this (and because of my weather/temperature concerns) I'm getting nervous!!

We have a budget of $12,000 and I thought we'd easily be able to stay under it. Starting to think that's impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards