Illinois-Chicago

Caramel Apples for favors?

We are thinking about doing caramel apples for our favor. I am having trouble finding a local place that does them for a reasonable price... although I am not really sure what a reasonable price is for these! Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on what companies to look into? Or any ideas on favors similar to this? TIA! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caramel Apples for favors?

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012
    This is the original company, located in Niles...........
    http://www.affytapple.com/

I know it's risky to wait, but often times in the fall, local grocery stores such as Jewel will have them priced really low, or buy one/get one.  Perhaps they could give you an idea as to when those sale prices might happen.
  • aphraelaphrael member
    First Comment
    we're thinking about doing them too, but we'd be doing them ourselves.  My foodie MOH swears we can do over a hundred in a morning....we'll see, but at least I'll know the apples are a great variety!
  • I'm thinking of a lot of old people dentures stuck in the apples at the end of the night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_caramel-apples-for-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e8f6cee9-76a4-46b4-954d-1ec2d7b7ac5bPost:08374054-e881-4d6b-9fbc-ed647b4f7de1">Re: Caramel Apples for favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I<strong>'m thinking of a lot of old people dentures stuck in the apples at the end of the night.</strong>
    Posted by scstar17[/QUOT

This made me laugh out loud! I would think most people could take them home and then they can handle that problem in the privacy of their own home.... ha!

I have been to Affy Tapple before, they have a little retail store attached to their plant in Niles with great prices, the problem is you don't always know how long the apples have been there for... makes me nervous.

Good suggestion on asking the grocery store for the sales, I will look into that. It would be easy to rewrap them in some celephane with a ribbon. Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's a very cute idea, I was just thinking the funniest possible result.  I am really craving a taffy apple now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• My family was in this business for over 60 years in Chicago and I strongly recommend Andrew's Caramel Apples on Belmont. I have the same concrns about Affy Tapple that LawyerLover has...Andrews quality control is vastly superior as is their coating which is true caramel. They also do some awesome gormet versions - call and talk to them, John Andrews is a really nice guy and I am sure they will help you out! Their website is www.andrewscaramelapples.com/  Hope this helps.

And mobkaz just for the record Leonhart's Caramel Apples were the original - started in 1942! My Grandpa actually helped Edna, the original owner of Affy Tapple, get started :) Had to add this so Grandpa Henry doesn't come back to haunt me! LOL
  • Thank you for the suggestion Cookies Mom - their prices are very reasonable and look delicious! I am going to call them :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Depending when you need them, Sam's Club and Costco usually has them in September.  They are a really great price too.  I used them for an event I did and just slipped them into cellophane bags.  Easy and inexpensive!

• MayboneMaybone member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My friend did this for her October wedding. She used affy tapple, with and without nuts. She bought them direct from the vendor I believe, printed labels to cover the original, and put them in a bag tied witha  ribbon.  Very enjoyable!
    Sept. 13 March Siggy Challenge: hair inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards