Illinois-Chicago
Options

Shedd Aquarium

Has anyone looked into Shedd for a reception?  Has anyone done the Shedd for a reception or been to one?

I know it is expensive but i would like some input on what you all experienced and if it is worth it?

Re: Shedd Aquarium

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about it, but I would have to say that is a great idea for a reception!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked into it.  The idea is great, but when I actually was seriously considering it, I could not get past the shape of the room.

It is so long and thin, that I felt guests on either end would feel alienated.

image **Married 7/9/11**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a corporate party there once, it was really cool! However, it smells like an aquarium in there, are you okay with fish smell at your wedding? It would still be really pretty though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked into using the Shedd...it's a cool venue but the drawbacks were more than we could get past.  The smell could be a bit much at times but you also have to pay attention to the music because it disturbs the fish after a certain time.

We looked at most of the museums and venues that are "different" and ended up choosing the Adler Planetarium.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a Barristers Ball (law school prom) there.  It was really cool eating by all the fish, but I remember the acoustics for the music were terrible.  I'm not sure if that was the DJ or just the room. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My internship had an event there.  It was really cool to be sitting around the fish and be able to see them.  I had to change my dinner option though to the filet mignon cuz I felt really bad eating fish in front of fish.  lol. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So I just realized I was thinking about the Adler Planetarium when I wrote the above review about the room shape.  The planetarium's shape is very strange.

We had my high school prom at the Aquarium though.  It was just ok.  Weird fish smell at times, bad acoustics, bad food (i have no idea who the caterer was).
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Is the main area for the reception the "dining hall" on the bottom level?  Or the main lobby?

I agree, I'd be concerned with the smell!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We seriously considered it but the timing available, the smell and the the acoustics were big concerns for us,.It is a very neat space though.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Options
    SeaAggieAlliSeaAggieAlli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm looking into the oceanarium area so i will keep you posted.
  • Options
    dfrankenfielddfrankenfield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Shedd Aquarium is one of the city's premiere desinations for corporate and social events including about 40 wedding receptions.  We pride ourselves in giving outstanding service, food, and attention to detail along with our spectacular aquatic exhibits and city views.  I have attached a few photos of the Shedd for evening events to give you an overall sense of our space.  The majority of our wedding receptions have seated dinners around our fabulous Caribbean Reef Exhibit and dancing in our neo-gothic Kovler Hall. The events catering team would be happy to give you a tour of our venue.  Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email. 

Denis Frankenfield
    Events & Catering
    Shedd Aquarium
    Phone:  (312) 692 - 3276
    Email:   events@sheddaquarium.org

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I had our wedding at the Shedd Aquarium.  It was absolutely amazing.  The staff was fantastic and the guests were in awe.  People are still talking about our wedding as the 'event of the year" three years later - largely because of the venue.  Imagine your guests - they think you shut down and rented out an entire public space just for your wedding, not realizing that it is available for events.  The dinner by the coral reef tank was gorgeous.  The blue color shining on the tables was beautiful.  The staff and food was excellent.  One of the best parts was the ability to move the guests from one section to another and keep people entertained.  We hired a dancer to start in the caribbean reef  after dinner, and then do part 2 in the main foyer.  We then had furniture brought in from Cort Furniture rental and created a lounge with a 10 piece orchestra.  The room was stunning.  People followed the dancer and the transition from dinner to dancing went with ease.  We also had the cake and coffee served in the foyer while the dancer finished.  Then the band kicked back in and since we framed a dance floor with the furniture, everyone could dance, or just sit back and watch.  Everyone stayed until the end and had a great time.  My husband and I had a romantic moment under the fireworks on the patio towards the end of the night.  I couldn't ask for better.  Also, it doesn't smell like fish at your wedding.  Anyone that would choose a boring hotel because you are afraid that it might smell should come check out an event at the Shedd before you make your decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Also, the acoustics were great.  Really the quality of your band is going to be the biggest factor, and their experience in managing a venue, as well as the quality of their equipment.   The main foyer has extremely tall, beautiful ceilings. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards