Illinois-Chicago
Options

Invite wording advice

So I showed FMIL the invite design I've been working very hard on so far tonight. (www.jess-lane2010.weebly.com for pics) and I used the traditional wording for the bride's family hosting. My parents are paying for 100% of the wedding and FI's parent's have not offered to contribute or pay for anything. FMIL asked tonight for me to put her name on the invitation. I just don't feel comfortable with this since my parents are contributing so much. Please don't get me wrong, we don't expect help and are very grateful for the help we are getting. I just told FMIL tonight that I used the traditional wording on the invites, but she kind of pouted about it. Advice please.
Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

Re: Invite wording advice

• Options
    NoronNoron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FILs are also not contributing to the reception, however they are still FI's parents.  We didn't feel right pretending they didn't exist, simply because they didn't contribute to the wedding day.
    We did:
    MOB and FOB
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter
    NORON
    to
    MR. NORON
    son of FMIL and FIL

blah, blah, blah

That's the traditional way to say that the parents of the bride are hosting while also acknowledging the parents of the groom.

HTH!
    January 2, 2010
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    EDD October 10, 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Noron, that's a really good idea. I guess I was just very offended by the way that she asked, or rather demanded, that her name be put on the invitation as a host to the wedding.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Noron. I've seen it done that way too and I think it makes it very clear who is the host (and therefore paying). While your FMIL might have approached you about it in the wrong way, it might be nice to acknowledge her and your FFIL on the invite because without them, I'm sure your fiance wouldn't be the person he is today.
  • Options
    duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with Noron.  That was the same wording that we used and everyone was happy with it.

It isn't worth it to damage your relationship with your FMIL over something as small as this.  Sometimes, being on an invite (or being recognized) isn't as much about money as it is about personal and emotional reasons.  They did raise the man you are going to marry and I don't see the point in excluding them as a "stick it to them" just because they've decided not to finance your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards