Hawaii
Options

Trash the Dress/Hair and Makeup Questions

Hi all!

I want to do a TTD photo shoot the day after my wedding and was hoping you gals can provide some input. 

If you did a trash the dress shoot on a different day than your actual wedding, did you have your hair and makeup professionally done?  This is a big one i'm debating on because the hair/makeup for both days ends up costing WAAAY more than I would like (after factoring in the travel fees each day and tips) but since these are prof photos, I don't want to look all plain jane...

If you did a trash the dress the day of your wedding, did you take the photos before or after the reception?  If before, did you change into another outfit for the reception?

Any input is appreciated!  Thx!

Re: Trash the Dress/Hair and Makeup Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've decided I'm going to wing it myself because at some point (probably early on) we're going to end up walking into the water. I just can't see spending 300 on H&M to go dip in the ocean!  :)

Is anyone in your bridal party good at H or M?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did my TTD session a different day from the wedding.  I was torn about whether to get my hair and makeup professionally done as well.  I ended up getting it because my H&M person had given me a free make-up application since she didn't bring a part she needed to do my airbrush make-up on the wedding day.  That left me with hair...she could do my hair too, but was going to charge me $125...just for hair!  I ended up going to another salon where I had a Gift Certificate.  However, we did underwater pics at the end of the shoot and I was really bummed to have to mess up my hair.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am planning on doing a TTD shoot this spring, but I agree the H&M issue is such a pain.  When we took our engagement pics last year I had my hair and makeup done at a local salon I used to go to when I lived in HI.  I dont remember the exact cost, but it was Paul Brown Salons, there are a couple locations.  Its definitely a cheaper option than paying someone to come to you, plus I just had my hair blown out, no updo or anything, which also cut down on the cost.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input guys!  Our photog gave us an awesome package deal for doing the TTD but it was really bothering me that the H&M was going to cost more than half what we'd be paying for the TTD.  I don't want a fancy updo..probably just loose beachy waves which I think I can do myself but I suck at makeup. 

Also, what kinds of photos did you guys take for the TTD?  One gal mentioned going underwater.  Were those hard to shoot?  I kind of want to split the session in half and do the other half with regular clothes for honeymoon couples pics as well but do you think that's wishful thinking trying to cram those in a 1hr session?

Any suggestions on Maui locations and advice on what kinds of photos to take/not take? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did our TTD the next day and I didn't have to do my hair, it still had all the curl in it from the wedding.  I'm not even kidding you when I say my hair had so much stuff in it that I even brushed it and the curls still stayed.  My makeup....I wish I could have afforded to get it professionally done but I really couldn't justify the cost and I did it myself.  I don't think it was bad but it definately wansn't as great as my wedding day makeup :)  I'll attach a picture so you can see how the hair stayed....

• Options
    55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine went to MAC to get her makeup done.  Its "free with $50 purchase" but they always do a great job.  Plus, you go home with makeup... always my justification ;)  If you're going to MAC make sure you make an appointment to insure they can fit you in.
    I've heard other makeup counters do this too, but only have had experience w/ MAC.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do a TTD session yet but I had the same dilemma for my engagement shoot. I wasn't able to get my H/M person to do my trial the same day as my engagement pictures. I ended up going to Cover Looks which I thought was a good solution. The month that I went, Cover Looks had a special where they do H/M + 2 hardcopy pictures for like $79 or CD with rights to print for $139. Not sure if they still have this special going on. Yes, it is still pricey but it is probably around the same price for just H/M alone. However, with Cover Looks I ended up getting a couple of extra pictures too. You might want to check if there's an option to do just H/M and see if it's cheaper. I thought the Cover Looks H/M person did a decent job (much better than I could have have done myself) but it definitely wasn't as good as the H/M on day of wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you are in Honolulu, check this out:
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/hab/2012391094.html

It's a fundraiser for photoshoot at headshots pearlridge for $10 + $9.95. So for less than $20, you get H/M plus photo session. Probably have to pay for photo prints or digital image though. Wish I had known about this since it is way cheaper than the Cover Looks I did.

I did a photoshoot with my mom using this same fundraiser many years ago when I was a student at UH so it works.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow - does that bring back memories!  I did a Headshots shoot at Pearlridge (some sort of fundraiser as well) with my mom and younger sister when I was younger.  That's hilarious :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks again gals for all the great suggestions!

m_eblin - your hair looks gorgeous!!  That's such a great shot of you guys!  I was also thinking that maybe my hair will be able to make it through the next day, but i'm having a morning ceremony, so I was kind of doubting that it would stay put to the next morning.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it does.  I've pretty much made my decision that I won't overindulge and go for the H&M for the TTD.

I wish I could just go to the mall and get the makeup done!!!!  I totally would but we're planning to have the photo session at 9AM so we can get it out of the way and I can finally hit the beach! 

I'm thinking at this point i'll just have the photog try to take as many photos on land where my hair and makeup are done during the wedding and then save the next day for the water photos.

Thanks again everyone!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did mine myself, but I didn't do any underwater shots. If I could have sprung for hair, I definitely would have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards