Hawaii
Options

Oahu beach permit question... and introduction!

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum… been lurking for a couple of weeks and very impressed with how helpful you all are!  We’ve set a date for the 8th August, 2012, and would like to get married on Waimea Bay, Oahu.  We have booked a holiday home in Haleiwa, so that’s the closest beach to our accommodation & also one of our top beach choices. 

At this stage, I’m leaning toward not having a wedding coordinator.  We are planning on a simple beach wedding with approximately 20 guests, and one of my closest friends is actually a wedding coordinator here in Australia (she obviously doesn’t have local knowledge, but is great for general destination wedding planning and ensuring that I think of the little things!).

Has anyone here filled out their own beach permit for Oahu, or know the process for the insurance requirement? I have a general understanding after reading information from the following link http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/land/forms-1/forms , but I’m not sure if it’s better to find a wedding officiant first or if it’s possible to get this all done independently?

If anyone has any advice or experience, I’d love to hear from you! 

Thanks so much,

Kristy
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Oahu beach permit question... and introduction!

• Options
    Welcome!  I don't know anything about the beach permit details but just wanted to welcome you to the board!  Looking forward to hearing more about your plans.
  • Options
    from what I remember, our WC said she had certificate of insurance on file with City and County which was required to get the beach permit.  Maybe give their office a call and find out exactly what you need.
  • Options
    Im not sure on the beach permit but Waimea Bay is beautiful! We tried to go there on a sunday afternoon & it was extremely crowded- we were unable to even park! So just a heads up, you may want to have your wedding on a weekday morning/evening. I highly recommend Kahu Bruce when you decide to start looking for an officiant. He may be able to help with the beach permit too. His info is in the planning link below.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies, it's given me some direction!  I'll email Kahu Bruce to see if he's available or has advice on the beach permit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats! I'm getting married on Waikiki and my WC who is also my officiant has a certificate to get a beach permit. I believe not just anyone can do this. Good luck on all your planning!!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks again for all of your help.  We've spoken with Kahu Bruce and he's as wonderful as you all say :).  The permit things are all sorted and we're now getting married on Papailoa Beach instead!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi Kristy,

I'm getting married in Koolina on a public beach as well. I"m totally confused about this whole liability insurance thing for the beach permits. As I'm from Canada, I was told that you have to be a US citizen to purchase this insurance. Any advice you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm also using Kahu Bruce but he said he won't be able to get us the permit
  • Options
    HI

I am a Chaplain at Schofield Barracks and I have performed beach weddings here. To answer your question - here is a quote from the Hawaii DLNR FAQ:

"Weddings taking place on a state beach which have any component that involves the receipt of compensation for services or goods other than the services of a photographer require a permit from the DLNR."

SOOO,  if you use a military Chaplain who does not recieve compensation for the wedding, and you do not use a wedding coordinator,  then you do not need a permit

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards