Hawaii
Options

Ordering prints from your photographer?

Just curious what other knotties have done with regards to ordering wedding pics.  Did you guys end up ordering directly from your photog or did you just buy a cd with all the pics and take them elsewhere to get prints, books, etc?

Re: Ordering prints from your photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    he gave us a print of each photo, but we used the DVD he gave us with the images and created our own photobook from a&i books.

we're also planning on using the DVD to make a canvas print.

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not married yet - but I have done a photo session with our wedding photographer.  What I did was buy the CD (because I couldn't bear not having ALL of our images & never seeing them again), and then I joined a pro photo lab online.  All you need to do is make up a fake photography business name, and some of them will let you in. 

I used Nations Photo Lab and the photo quality is SO much better than if you were to use the non-pro side of Shutterfly or any of the common picture places online. 

And FYI - it sounds scary, but photos on the metallic paper are AWESOME! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow the pricing for Nations Photo Lab is great!  Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    <div>I got a DVD from my photographer and printed my own at Costco.  Our package with the photographer did not include any prints...the digital negatives were what I was really interested in!  I've made several photobooks for the parents and am planning on doing a professional album for myself.  I also made my own thank you cards and might do a canvas print using it as well.  To me, getting the digital images is totally worth it!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_ordering-prints-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:0d840815-c0be-4e86-87aa-c00b6f7de525Post:db65b4a9-dc7b-4562-9b67-dfb508d8d3ac">Re: Ordering prints from your photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not married yet - but I have done a photo session with our wedding photographer.  What I did was buy the CD (because I couldn't bear not having ALL of our images & never seeing them again), and then I joined a pro photo lab online.  All you need to do is make up a fake photography business name, and some of them will let you in.  I used Nations Photo Lab and the photo quality is SO much better than if you were to use the non-pro side of Shutterfly or any of the common picture places online.  And FYI - it sounds scary, but photos on the metallic paper are AWESOME! 
    Posted by AKWinterBride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oooh!  I just checked out Nations and it looks great.  I hate that most professional places require you to show proof of a business.  I've been looking for a place to get my album done...this looks like it may be the place!  Have you done any photobooks or albums through them?  BTW, I LOVE metallic paper...that was one of the criteria I was searching for when looking for a place to print my album!  :)  Do you pay for the color correcting?  Or do you think the as-is should be okay for the images coming from my photographer?

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_ordering-prints-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:0d840815-c0be-4e86-87aa-c00b6f7de525Post:cec86323-e952-4b4a-a4ba-4a058699aa6b"><u><font color="#0000ff">Re: Ordering prints from your photographer?</font></u></a>:
    [QUOTE] Oooh!  I just checked out Nations and it looks great.  I hate that most professional places require you to show proof of a business.  I've been looking for a place to get my album done...this looks like it may be the place!  Have you done any photobooks or albums through them?  BTW, I LOVE metallic paper...that was one of the criteria I was searching for when looking for a place to print my album!  :)  Do you pay for the color correcting?  Or do you think the as-is should be okay for the images coming from my photographer?
    Posted by jaymers99[/QUOTE]

If you have a facebook account, look up Nations!!  I just signed up for an account and it didn't ask for any info regarding a business or whatever.  SEVERAL people on facebook asked NPL for sample books and papers, etc so i hopped on the bandwagon and asked for some as well and they replied back fairly quickly saying the samples are on their way!  I'm very excited!  Many people commented that customer service was excellent.  Hope it's user friendly!

<div id="forumPostAuthor[3]" class="Discussion_UserName"><font color="#0000ff">AKWinterBride - do you have any snapshots of what your book looks like? Was it pretty easy to navigate through the process of creating the book?</font>
    </div>
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done any of their photobooks yet, but I am waiting to get my CD back with my B-pics and I may try to do one then.  I can tell you that their photo quality is amazing, and their prices are great too.  They run specials all the time, so if the picture size you are looking at isn't on sale - wait a week and check again.  

I do a lot of amatuer photography, and I feel like color correction setting is more for the photographer who isn't sure that their monitor is calibrated with the 'correct' colors.  That is something that is stressed a lot in photography courses (to calibrate your monitor), and since they were already touched up by a pro photographer, I didn't feel the need to do anything extra with my pictures. 

Glad to share, I have had nothing but great experiences with Nations! 

PS - The paper selections they send you are amazing!  It's a substantial little package and it really helps you see the difference in the paper and finishes. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  I signed up for an account and am playing around with the software now!  I was planning on doing my own album templates from scratch, but they have some pretty good pre-designed ones, so I might go with that.  If not,  I might not have an album for another 10 years...LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_ordering-prints-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:0d840815-c0be-4e86-87aa-c00b6f7de525Post:36a415ea-023c-45fe-aef2-42ea502b0f9c">Re: Ordering prints from your photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the info!  I signed up for an account and am playing around with the software now!  I was planning on doing my own album templates from scratch, but they have some pretty good pre-designed ones, so I might go with that.  If not,  I might not have an album for another 10 years...LOL!
    Posted by jaymers99[/QUOTE]

Please share pics of your finished album if you use them!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards