Hawaii
Options

Aloha~ Introduction and a Question

Hello Hawaii brides~I've been lurking around for the past month or so and finally decided I should just drop in.FI and I are planning a semi-destination wedding to Oahu next July.  I say semi in that his entire family live in Oahu already.  My family and ourselves are over in northern CA. We booked our reception site at the Japanese Cultural Center, but are having major, major issues finding a ceremony location. FI, being a local, has ruled out any chance of having a beach wedding (which he considers too 'touristy' *rolls eyes*), and we'd need room for maybe about 100-150 people.  Our mainland non-denom Christian pastor plans on coming along with us, but as I've been finding out, you can't just rent a local hawaii church without using their own pastors, or at least a pastor in the same denomination.  And unfortunately FI's family can't help us find a church since they are all Buddhist.So we've been looking at gardens, which seem to be a happy medium.  Anyone head of or had any luck with Haiku gardens?  I'm leaning in that direction at the moment, but I'm a little hesistant at shelling out 900 dollars for 2 hours worth of time (including set up and clean up).  We have a fairly large budget to work with, but I'm still trying to stay in the cheap as much as possible.  Is 2 hours enough for a ceremony with pictures after? the JCC isn't very scenic, so all our natural/outdoors shots would have to be taken either before the wedding or at the ceremony site.Sorry for such a lengthy post. I'm nearing the 330 day mark for booking flights and I don't want to send out my save the dates without a set ceremony site.  Thanks for reading! ^_^"

Re: Aloha~ Introduction and a Question

• Options
    kwippykwippy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm having my reception there at Haiku Gardens.  I'm actually having my ceremony one street over at the Byodo-In temple, and they welcome anyone to bring their own clergy.  Check out my bio to see some pictures, but it is a replica of a shinto shrine, even though you can have any type of religious ceremony there.  The staff there is very accomodating and approximately the same price as Haiku Gardens (maybe a hundred dollars cheaper?)  HTHs and Welcome!
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I can't help with the ceremony site but I wanted to welcome you to the board! Congratulations and happy planning :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any suggestions but I also just wanted to say Welcome!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The ceremony locations at Haiku Gardens are located at the bottom of a very steep pathway.  Walking down the hill and coming back up may be tricky for your guests.  In the past, they've shuttled the bride and groom (and elderly guests) up and down the hill using a golf cart.  The pathway is a little narrow, as well.  There are other lush, garden settings on the windward side, including Luana Hills Golf Club. Have you checked out Anela Gardens?  It's pretty close to JCCH.  [url]http://www.anelagarden.com[/url] Knottie/Nestie vanceandlori got married there.  Here's a link to her bio: [url]http://tinyurl.com/njkorc[/url] I was married at a chapel at Ko Olina through Best Bridal Hawaii: [url]http://bestbridalhawaii.com[/url] They offer other chapel and gazebo rentals, including 2 locations at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  You can bring in your own pastor.  They are on the pricier side, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aloha and welcome! I had a friend get married at Haiku a few years ago - they loved it! not sure about the pricing though. FI and I are getting married at Atherton Memorial Chapel (it's part of Central Union Church in Honolulu). They have an outdoor garden area and the chapel can accommodate up to 200 guests but it looks cute and small. They will let you use your own pastor but you have to submit an application for it first. They approved ours! You should check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also not familiar with that site, but I also wanted to say welcome to the board!! I am positive that you will get a lot of great advice for your big day!! Congratulations!
  • Options
    pengapenga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone!  Will discuss more with FI tonight. I had looked into the temple before, it is really gorgeous..but since it's inside the cemetary FI cut it off the list. Superstitious family..but I definitely still want to take pictures there at some point. And I shouldn't complain about the price I guess.  Even if we did have it at a "free" location, there would still be chair rentals, etc. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards