Hawaii
Options

How many lanterns?

Any idea how many lanterns would be enough for cozy lighting? Our current configuration is a U-shaped table under a 40x40 tent. To save a little money, our caterer is hanging the lanterns with battery operated led lights for us instead of the equipment company. We have 10 16" lanterns and 10 12" lanterns (not all need to be hung unless necessary) and some tiny little gel candles that go on the table.I don't want it so dim that you can't see your food but I don't want the bright spotlight effect.  Any suggestions? And any configuration ideas?TIA!:)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many lanterns?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, with the LED lights, they definitely aren't going to illuminate your food, the LEDs just don't have enough power. They'll be just for decoration rather than function.I like either eating under the lanterns (lowers the ceiling down and makes things feel more cozy) or doing an arrangement over the dance area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...I have no experience in that area, but I always thought this picture was pretty cool!  :) [img]http://blog.weddingpaperdivas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/martha_stewart_ideas.jpg[/img]
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ginajadeginajade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had about 25 lanterns under our 30x50 tent, ranging from 18-30 inches.I agree with above - the LED lights are really just for decoration.  Is their sufficient lighting without the lanterns? We did some lit, some unlit for some added dimension.So I would hang them all, especially if they are between 12-16 inches, and maybe even get a few bigger ones.  I am selling mine, trying to get my pics up online so you can see if you like any of those - they are green, ivory, and white.Here's a picture of our tent with about 25 lanterns underneith[img]http://tinyurl.com/ldvqwk[/img]
  • Options
    ginajadeginajade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, maybe that's more than 25 lanterns - the tent company had about 50 lanterns to work with, including the ones that got strung around the dance floor.... so maybe 25-35 lanterns under the tent, and the rest around the dance floor. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to piggyback off your post, but Gina and snarling, how many guests are you guys having or had?? Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of your tent layout. Think we will be going with a tent afterall! Email addy is emptybee83@yahoo.com. TIA!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info.Nahokulele - that is an awesome picture - I would love to have that many lanterns!!Ginajade - great shot of your clear tent - so pretty. I need to go and peek in your bio now for the rest of your pictures and lanterns.
  • Options
    TomatoTomattoTomatoTomatto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Snarling, I logged in to ask that same question!!  I am having my wedidng at Lanikuhonua phase II.  I'm working with Vanessa Hollinger too!  She included the lanterns in our rentals quote, but I was unsure of whether or not it would be enough.  Do you know if Lani has ANY lighting available? Because I was also concerned about the dancefloor.. is there any lighting available on the grounds, or do you have to get some form of a spotlight.What are you doing about your dancefloor?
  • Options
    ginajadeginajade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, you know, I never actually got a layout... we didn't finalize our layout until the day before our wedding - haha - but we used a 30x50 tent, with the dance floor and band in front of the tent - ocean side.And yes, there is plenty of lighting at Lani - especially phase I because there are more trees.  Phase II has less trees, but I'm sure the lighting is fine.  I can't remember if we had a dimmer for our lanterns, but I don't think we ended up using it because we put the slideshow elsewhere.I just looked at our Accel quote though - we ordered 3 throgh them, I gave them 44, and they used 35 of those for tent and dance floor.If you are using a white tent, you'll definitely want lighting in the tent - you might be okay with a clear tent.
  • Options
    ginajadeginajade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and we had 120 guests.  12 round tables and one sweet heart table
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ginajade thanks for posting about the lights outside - we were kind of curious about that too. TomatoTommatto Did you do a tasting with Vanessa yet? If you haven't, she has amazing food! Machan is using her too. We had already hired a wedding coordinator - Dianna Shitanishi from Hawaii Weddings & Events - so she'll do our rentals for us even though Vanessa said she could. I'm sure Vanessa will include plenty lighting. As for our dance floor - we came up with a non-normal configuration for our 76 guests. We didn't want to do separate tables. Here's our layout but instead of individual tents we'll have one 40x40 tent. [img]http://i28.tinypic.com/2lsgw12[/img]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TomatoTomatto - meant to also say our dance floor is in the middle of our non-normal seating configuration :)
  • Options
    TomatoTomattoTomatoTomatto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooooooh aaaaaaaaahhh.. very cool layout. I was wondering why you were getting such a huge tent. I'm flip flopping back and forth between tent and open air. I love the look of open air, but I also like the decor opportunities you get with a tent.. that and the peace of mind you get if it should rain. *sigh*.. decisions were so much easier to make when I wasn't engaged and planning a wedding!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards