Hawaii
Options

Married...with reviews!

well hopefully third time's the charm in writing this!  the last two times i've tried my computer has crashed at least half way through!

The wedding turned out perfect for us and I cannot wait to get the pictures back (I'll share them when I do)!  We did a whole lot of nothing while on the island except relax so I don't have too much to review about, but hopefully it will be helpful nonetheless!

Milowai Condo #105, Maalaea - A
Our condo was awesome for us and I highly recommend it, but only if it's what you're looking for.  Very quiet people-wise, not much to do in Maalaea except enjoy the ocean front view from the lanai, maybe a little fishing/beach, and 3 restaurants. It's also right next to the harbor which is convenient if you are planning to do any outtings or fishing from the pier (as we did).  It is centrally located on the island which is great too if you plan to explore while there.  It was very updated/modern with all amenities including AC, washer/dryer, and even had 42" HD tv with blu-ray.  We're kinda big homebodies so this was perfect for us to be able to snuggle up with Harry Potter or watch the Duck game!  :)  Only thing that would have made it better is an ironing board (had the iron) and if it didn't have the pool shower tops in the immediate view.  Otherwise it was perfect - and it was pretty inexpensive!

Cafe O'Lei - A+
We are all about value and this place was awesome!  FI had the lunch special (pulled pork w/mushroom gravy) and I had the "unlisted special" (2 macadamia crusted pieces of ono with a yummy honey sauce) plus white rice and caesar salad with both for $18!  delish - I guess there are a couple of locations on the island but we went to the one in Kihei.  Heard this is also the place to go if you want an awesome burger.

Silver Stitch, Steam and Press - A++
Vanessa was great.  I personally didn't get to meet with her since my mom was taking care of the dress for me so that hubs wouldn't be tempted to see it.  My dress had a ton of layers on the back but overall was not too intricate imo, and she only charged $40 to do the whole thing which I thought was very reasonable.  She quoted without knowing anything about the dress between 35 and 65 depending on the details so I thought 40 was great.  Dress didn't have a wrinkle on it!

Precious Maui Weddings - A++
Deanne was awesome!  We went with the Gardenia package + 2 bouts which is the second "cheapest" option and was worth every penny.  Included all the basics needed for a memorable-without-going-all-out experience which was exactly what we were looking for.  Deanne always replied to my emails and phone calls within 24 hours and typically the same day.  She also gave me her cell early in our relationship so I could reach her more easily.  Very prompt day of, too, and very helpful to make sure that all my needs were met (like not seeing each other before I walked down the aisle) and that everyone knew what they were to be doing and when. All of the choices she made for me turned out amazing. I gave input on the types of flowers and colors I liked for the bouquet (blue is what i wanted) and she showed up with a bouquet that greatly exceeded my expectations!  Only "mishap" was that she forgot to give us the bouts (had them with her) and she called immediately to apologize and to say she would refund the money.  Honestly didn't even care that we didn't have them and I kinda think hubs will have looked better without it!

Gannon's Lower Knoll, Ceremony site - A++
This site was beautiful! Based on the online pics I assumed it was just above the beach but it was actually about 1/4 mile up the road from it.  Made no difference with the view whatsoever!  The driveway to the restaurant/golf club is just to the side of the site, and I did notice the cars while waiting to walk down the aisle, but after that I don't recollect there being any.  I think only 2 or 3 drove by and it was in the morning so I would imagine that people were arriving for a leisurely day of golf.  The cars being there was highly irrelevant to the overall experience.  Its only 15mph through there anyways so its not like people are speeding by or anything.  All (6) of my guests were thrilled by the location and multiple times said I could not have picked a better spot!

Gannon's Restaurant - A+
I wish I had gone back for dinner, but even the food at brunch was amazing.  I paid the $50 to get the lower pond set up for the 8 of us and it was soo pretty.  Probably not all that necessary for a weekday morning wedding since there were only 2 or 3 other occupied tables while we were there, but definitely worth it for the evening weddings for sure.  Beautiful spot to be! 

Marbelle Photography - A+

OK, I haven't seen the pics yet so I can only give this one +, but if they turn out as well as Jen appeared like she knew what she was doing, they will be fantastic.  Marbelle was one of the 3 options Deanne gave me with my package and I preferred her style most based on the website profiles.  She was very conscious that most the men were in suits and did her best to rotate everyone in and out of the shade as best as possible to help keep everyone comfortable.  She even fanned out the bottom of my dress a little bit to help cool me down!  She was willing to accomodate any pictures we wanted and was willing to go down to the beach with us for more pictures than just the ones at Gannon's.  When we didn't really have particular shots we wanted she was very quick to suggest poses and even gave us detailed directions on how to complete them so that they will turn out just right.  When I get the pics I'll repost a review based on how they meet my expecatations (and with a link to them of course)!

Adam Gomez, Officiant - A
Adam was selected for us by Deanne and did a really nice job given we really had no requirements for the ceremony.  He did a heartfelt Hawaiian ceremony that was not too short and not too long for the heat either.  He also injected a little humor into the ceremony which we both enjoyed.  Overall I thought he was very professional and did a good job.

Everything turned out just right for us and I can't wait to see/share the pics!  Hopefully these reviews also help some of you out that are still in planning mode!

Re: Married...with reviews!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First off, Congratulations! Thanks for the reviews. I am using Precious Maui Weddings for my wedding next May and also chose the Gardenia Package. I also chose Marbelle as the photographer so I am so happy to read a good review. I will be looking out for your updated review once you get the pics. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great reviews!!  Congrats on the marriage and thanks for sharing!  I can't wait to see photos and maybe even a video?  :D
  • Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay I'm glad you loved Vanessa, though I'm sad you didn't get to meet her personally, she's really great. 

Everything sounds awesome and I can't wait to see the photos!
  • Options
    FSForeverFSForever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! So glad it went so well.  Thank you for the reviews.  We will also be at Gannon's for a L. Pond Brunch and I always love to hear that the service, view, etc.. exceeded expectations. Can't wait to see your pics. 
  • Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Glad everything was wonderful for you. Can't wait to see pics! Question?? What kind of blue flowers did you have? I am looking for a blue bouquet and I know blue flowers are hard to come by.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks all! 

Tanq - unfortunately we didn't get a video. That's definitely something I wish we did in retrospect especially since it would have been fun to view at the AHR.

jtoly - November is not the time to try to find blue flowers but Deanne was able to get hydrangeas for me. Because it was the end of the season they weren't as bright as I originally wanted (deanne warned me of this when I requested blue) but I had no qualms with the color after seeing the bouquet.  I also googled something like "native Hawaii blue flowers" and got a site that had a bunch of different options too.

Edit:  here's a pic of my bouquet I took at the condo

• Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very pretty, thanks for posting! I love blue orchids but I'm finding that nobody carries them, not even in silk.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We used Marbelle for our videography and Jen and Frederick were great!  I'm glad you had such a good experience, you just can't go wrong getting married in paradise!!

Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! Great reviews.  I think laying around and doing nothing sounds great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards