Hawaii
Options

starting the planning process

Hi ladies!
I joined the knot after getting engaged in May 2009.  We set the date for June 8, 2011 so I left the board for a while since it was to soon to start planning.  We are less than a year away and the planning process is in full swing!
My name is Stephanie and I live in Texas.  We are planning a DW in Maui.
We are inviting 65 guests, ages 5 through 70! 
I recently started working with Jana at hawaiian style weddings. 
I am looking for a venue in West Maui for dinner after the ceremony.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  We don't plan on a full-fledged reception, just dinner and a wedding cake and hanging with the family.  We aren't planning a bouquet toss, or first dance.  Just a sunset ceremony on the beach with food and drinks after. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: starting the planning process

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!  When you say West Maui I am assuming you mean the Lahaina/Kanaapali area.  If so, this is a very nice place:  http://www.theplantationhouse.com/
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back!

Ugh, a big thumbs down to the Plantation House. We got a gift certificate for them from the place we rented a condo at, and I was sooo disappointed with the food and service - both were inattentive and half hearted. It's a beautiful location, but what a bummer. I'd seriously thought about having our reception there, and after my experience dining, I'm really glad I didn't. Maybe I was there on an off day...

What about Roy's or Merriman's?
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh really?  Sorry for my recommendation then!  :)  You never know when you only go places once a year, lots of changes can happen like the Seawatch - Gannons switch.  I have heard not so good things about Gannons, but heard only amazing things about Seawatch.  Roy's is also great! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, don't worry! Sometimes a place works wonderfully for some, but not so wonderfully for others. It's like - I LOVED my caterers. They were amazing for me. But, they way they've dealt with other knotties' inquiries from this board has been really disappointing to hear.

And the thing that's extra weird about the Plantation House is that they're owned by the people who owned Seawatch before Bev Gannon took it over. I'd heard so much raving about the Seawatch that I had really high expectations of the Plantation House. Frown
  • Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel like we are twins! We have the same wedding date, and I got engaged April 2009. =) We are also doing dinner after our ceremony, but somewhere kinda laid back, so maybe like Hula Grill, Leilani's on the Beach, Pineapple Grill, I'O, Pacific'O. Those are all in the West Maui area. I use tripadvisor.com alot for reviews, and you can look at a map of Maui on the website to see where all the restaurants are located! Hope this helps!
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    scottie_mommyscottie_mommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aliblu I think we may have chatted before.  I remember that we had the same date and got engaged around the same time.

I am thinking Hula Grill, Pacific'o, The Plantation House, or Merriman's.

Are you working with a planner? 
  • Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, just myself! Although, I have a planner at the resort I'm getting married at, but I just use her for questions about my actual wedding day, ect. She is my day-of coordination. Theknot gives my lots of help, and my wedding is laid back, and I love to plan, so I don't feel obligated to have a planner. =)
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tdreiertdreier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're doing ours at Merriman's and getting married on the beach below. I love the view from Merriman's!!!

• Options
    scottie_mommyscottie_mommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am working with Jana from Hawaiian Style weddings.  So far she has been great.  She is my go to person on the island and will be my day of coordinator.  She suggested Merriman's today.  I just logged in and saw several suggestions for Merriman's.  I will be giving them a call. 
    I also like Hula Grill's laid back atmosphere and menu options.
    Does anyone have experience with them?  I sent them an email 3 days ago, waiting for a response, but I do realize it was the weekend so they were busy.  I hope to hear back in a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards