Hawaii
Options

Maui photographer help;)

Hi everyone, 
My fiance and I have been able to make really quick decisions on some aspect of our wedding planning but are having a hard time trying to find a wedding photographer on Maui who we love and who's prices aren't crazy expensive. We immediately fell in love with Shawn Starr's photos and his prices fit in our budget but he's on Oahu and are really hoping to find someone similar whom we dont have to fly over and pay that extra expense. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a photographer on Maui who's style and prices are similar to Shawn's? Thanks in advance;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Maui photographer help;)

• Options
    dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't inquired with Shawn Starr, but what is his pricing like?

My photographer is Ben Pigao, he's a Maui native be currently resides in Portland, OR. His wedding packages start at $2200, and he was able to work with me on pricing. His family still resides on the island, so he'd only need airfare covered (unless you work with him) since ground transportation and lodging is available for him.

I LOVE Ben's style, so that's why we decided to go with him.  I know he's not Maui-based, but his pricing was great. He's very professional, quick to respond, and is totally on top of it! Plus he's super nice. :)

I hope that helps! Please let me know how it works out for you! :)
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you working with a WC? We flew Shawn over from Oahu and he gave us a $500 discount for working with Tropical Maui Weddings. Joanna Tano is a popular choice on Maui as well.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Check out Beloved Weddings...Matthew Alverado...he is very good and very similar.  Last time i checked he didn't process his photos as much as he use to but he is certainly capable of doing it if you like.  Seriously you should check him out. HTH! J. :-)

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Melissa McClure!!  We flew her out from San Diego (during the week, I don't think she will fly out on a weekend) and had coverage from 2-10 on our wedding day as well as a TTD session that lasted a few hours the day before our wedding for $3K.  Her style is amazing and she is the sweetest girl ever!!!

Otherwise, contact Natalie Brown.  She is a local Maui photog, she is super talented and WAY less expensive and gives way more coverage than the other names floating around.  I had originally booked her for our wedding as we had used her for a family session during a previous trip but she ended up being due to have a baby 2 days before our wedding so we had to reschedule. 

I would have been equally happy with either of them, both great choices if you are looking for a great photog with a reasonable price to coverage ratio.  Good luck!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I loved Joanna! She doesn't do as processed a look as Shawn does. Try Kim Aihara or Anna Kim as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto all of Kaesha's recommendations!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with John Henry and loved the photos he took of our wedding.  He is also a member of Profesional Photographers of America which was important to me since I was a photographer in my other life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Joanna Tano was our photographer, and her assistant was Kim Aihara.  I enjoyed both of them, and would recommend both.  They did really nice work, and we couldn't have been happier with their photos.
  • Options
    trojanqtitrojanqti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Mike Sidney and love the photos he took.  He was great to work with and his office manager Nicole was always quick to respond to email.  Pricing is based on how many hours of coverage you want and whether or not you want the photos edited.
  • Options
    SunshinyLeesSunshinyLees member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! Soooo many amazing photographers this is why we are having a heck of a time deciding!! Have spent a few hours allready tonite going through all your recommendations, I'd say Joanna and Anna Kim are standing out as serious contenders! Our WC recommends Marbelle. Has anyone used them?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards