Hawaii
Options

Would you Risk It?

I'm been arranging a boating trip for our guests and i made contact with a local photographer who is trying to build his portfolio.He's offered to do our wedding for free so he can have some promo pics. Photography is so important to me and i'm not totally convinced with who we have booked so i'm considering it. (well no, I want to consider it but I don't live in Hawaii and think its too big a risk). Would you go for it?  (I had a great and cheap caterer that I didn't go with becuase he was on island time and I couldn't cope, so now I'm paying $1500 more and i'm really wondering if I'm just playing it save and spending too much $$$ i dont really have in the process).

What would you do?????

Re: Would you Risk It?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What have you seen from the new photographer that makes you believe he could do a better job? I guess that's the bottom line. With photography, quality is really, really important.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I think it's all about the portfolio.  I'd want to see whatever I could get my hands on to make sure the photog's style matched my own.  Then, talk to him on the phone to try to get a sense of whether he's professional and organized.  I've known people who've worked with newer photographers and not regretted it - but you've gotta do your homework.
  • Options
    kjane12kjane12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you book two photographers, the free one and the "professional" one?  You might benefit from two - for the price of one - in the end :)
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with KJane, if you can pull off this new guy and a more experienced photographer that would be GREAT!  There is nothing wrong with hiring a new photographer (I am a photog buff and find it very hard to find people willing to give you a chance), but since this is your big day I would want to make sure that he can produce the results you desire.  It's a great way to save money, but I'd hate to see you dislike your wedding photos in the future. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards