Hawaii
Options

Kona Brides!! Wedding Week Excursions?

Are you planning wedding week "excursions" for your guests? I was thinking it would be nice to drive up to Mauna Kea for sunset as a group and do stargazing at the visitor center after, but I know you cant really make it up there without a 4wheel drive, and not everyone will be renting a JEEP.  Maybe we will do this in the days after the wedding.

We also really enjoyed snorkeling with the Manta Rays. But this is at night, and Im wondering if people will freak out, and not want to do this. Shoud we do something more friendly to everyone? I kinda wanted to do something as a group that you could only do on The Big Island.

Re: Kona Brides!! Wedding Week Excursions?

• Options
    For stargazing my friend recommended using a tour group because they provide you with jackets and gloves. We are looking into it.
  • Options
    I think we will do the catamaran style group if we do the manta rays. I think you have to do some sort of group, because its kinda far out in the ocean. I just dont know if that is something that our parents would enjoy.

• Options
    The Body Glove and Fair Winds are fun day/sunset cruises that are great for all ages. You take the catamaran to Kealakekua Bay and snorkel then break for food and drinks too. Or a BBQ at the beach is also always fun- and less expensive. A group hike at Pololu or Waipio Valley could also be a fun day trip for everyone.
  • Options
    I definitely recommend jackets and gloves! IT was FREEZING up there, and so windy. But those companies charge an awful lot for a ride and some parkas. We rented a JEEP, and got up there fine... piled on the sweaters though!
  • Options
    I just got back from our wedding in Hilo.  I did the manta dive myself and while it was truly amazing.....only do it in a group if everyone is comfortable in the water at night.  We did it with Big Island Divers and they were fantastic!

Also, the stargazing is a must do on the big island and that would be great to do as a group.  You do not have to go all the way to the top as there is a FREE nightly stargazing program offered at the Visitors Services level at only 9,000 ft.  No 4 wheel drive needed to get that that level either.  You will need warm clothes though!  

One other thing no one has mentioned yet that is great for groups and a must do on the Big Island is to go to Volcanoes National Park.  There are a ton on hiking paths and other areas to explore plus this is virtually free as well with only the $10 per car entrance fee.
  • Options
    KiMA3KiMA3 member
    First Comment
    Don't know if this is too late to post, but I'll give it a shot:

Volcano National Park. Visit the Jaggar Museum while you're there, and if you go at sunset or later, you'll see the lava in the crater glowing. It's really something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards