Hawaii

If you eloped - were you upset more people werent there?

Hey ladies - this is my first post.  My fiance and i got engaged about a month ago.  This will be his first marriage and my second.  We originally planned on getting married on the beach on the East Coast but after dealing with our friends and jealous and just looking at the sheer cost - now we are thinking of eloping to Hawaii. 

My mom said she would be there if we wanted but my dad said he couldnt afford it.  I'm wondering if any of you regretted not having family there or was it nice to just have the two of you?

Re: If you eloped - were you upset more people werent there?

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the board.

Now on to your question.  My wedding isn't until next June, but I have to say that I would be really sad if my dad couldn't come.  To me my family and bestfriend would have to be there to make the day complete.  I think it just comes down to who is important to you and to see if you could perhaps help find a way to cut so9me costs for your Dad.  Companion tickets or cheap flights and affordable lodging.  Good luck!
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was just us and our parents. We paid for Steve's dad to be there. We were glad we did. We didn't miss anyone else.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We were looking at eloping but I really wanted family and close friends there.  We almost didn't do Hawaii cos my Granny doesn't want to come (she's 92, though perfectly capable of travelling), but she told us to go.  As everyone else said, look at who you absolutly must have there and make your decisions based on that

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations!
    My FI and I are eloping to Hawaii.  We haven't told our families and are just fine with it being just the two of us.  It is definitely a personal choice.  We are in our 40's and this is my second marriage so that factors into it as well.
    imageAnniversary
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm eloping to Hawaii as well! This is our second marriage and we aren't telling anyone until we come back....or maybe the day we leave. My reasoning is because my sister is getting married for the first time next year and I won't take away from her. I don't want my parents to feel bad cause I know they can't afford to go cause they are helping her so this is more for them!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just want to add-- we were going to elope, but the parents weasled their way into the trip. For us, we've never wanted anything more than a beautiful intimate wedding just the two of us in Hawaii. Adding the parents wasn't a huge compromise :)
  • edited December 2011
    We eloped - no parents or family, though they all knew about it beforehand. Everybody was supportive, for the most part, and understood that it was what WE wanted (we emphasized that for us, it wasn't about the wedding day - it was about a marriage). I don't think it would've gone over so well if we hadn't told them what we were doing ahead of time. They were all appeased when we agreed to live stream the ceremony. We had over 100 people watch it live, which is WAY more than I was expecting. But everybody seemed to love it and it was worth the expense. We splurged on photography, too. I have ZERO regrets and would do it all over again the exact same way in heartbeat. We were both so relaxed and happy the entire day - no stress to speak of. 

And congrats on your engagement!
    BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • tnpatt0tnpatt0 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your responses.  we are working on getting costs together for the wedding and then i think we'll look at whether we can afford to invite others or if we want to just keep it just the two of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards