Hawaii

Oahu Hotels for Honeymoon - Suggestions please!

Hi Ladies,
I'm not in Hawaii but plan on going to Oahu for our honeymoon. I've been pretty set on The Coconut Waikik Hotel. I know its set a few minutes back from the beach but they have great rooms at a great price (good discount on sams club travel) and are rated #1 on trip advisor.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience or can give me advice about this hotel? I would really love to stay at a fancier hotel right on the beach but it just isn't in our budget. I want to keep the hotel at $1000 for 7 days. I was briefly considering the Hilton Hawaii Villiage when the prices dropped last week but they've raised again.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Oahu Hotels for Honeymoon - Suggestions please!

• lindskalindska member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I stayed at that hotel while in Hawaii for work last year.  Hmmm let me see, the interior was pretty and the rooms were nicely decorated and very comfortable!  Our view was of the canal, which wasn't so bad at night, we pretended that it was a beautiful river and made the most of the twinkling lights...but in the daytime it looked pretty grimy. Our 'balcony' looked a little bit worn, so we didn't venture onto it much.  The windows were definitely old school (you can tell that the hotel has been made over - BUT we didn't care about the silly windows).  The pool was teeny but I never went out there, so I am not sure if there are chairs or if it is a nice atmosphere.  There are community computers in the lobby and a continental breakfast in the morning.  The lobby is very fun and clean - we hung out in the lobby a lot, mostly to use the computers.  (Although there was one cockroach situation one night in the lobby, but we jumped on the elevator before it reached us).  OK, but, in my honest opinion, I wonder if you might consider staying there for half of your stay (if your heart is set on it) and maybe somewhere right on the beach for half of your stay (keeping within budget), so that you get to have the experience of a nicer place for your honeymoon, as well?  Maybe somewhere like the Outrigger hotels?  There are several great hotels right on the beach (I personally favor the HHV and Outrigger)...love those hotels!!!  HTHs!  Please let me know if you have any questions that I didn't answer here! 

lindsay and kaata - june 21, 2010 - lani phase II my planning bio
  • christyc33christyc33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually had my wedding @ Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore, I got 6 nights, breakfast every morning, and rental car all for $1400.00 from Pleasant Holidays Vacation.  The resort was amazing, service was wonderful, and it was great to be slightly secluded from the busy city.  It was the most romantic place imaginable!!!
  • edited December 2011
    thank you for the helpful information!
  • kinibruinkinibruin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi hi hi

i love hhv...

the moana is really nice too. it's pricier but it's gorgeous. we had our wedding there and we got a free room. it was really beautiful. 

i also love the hyatt waikiki because of it's location. my TA has a good inside contact there--Darryl Wong. see my bio for info.. =) he can get breakfast, upgrades, and parking deals.

there's also the that one hotel that has tiki's in it. my pastor and his wife stayed there and they said they were given a lil cooler that they could pack with food for snacks on the go. but that was 2008...

happy hm! =)
    D started out as a LUCKY CHARM but ended up being our LOVEBUG image
    hawaii 10.2008 plan ;P married bio ???
  • kinibruinkinibruin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and the ladies from tk when i was knotting back in the day loved that one outrigger by the beachwalk over on lwers. i've never been there....

if you want to get a little further but not too far, there's the ihilani and the kahala... =)
    D started out as a LUCKY CHARM but ended up being our LOVEBUG image
    hawaii 10.2008 plan ;P married bio ???
  • edited December 2011
    It willl be slightly over your budget, but the Moana Surfrider, like kinibruin said, is AMAZING! So beautiful and absolutely perfect for a honeymoon. They are running a bunch of specials on their website right now and you can get good deals, especially if you sign up to be a Starwood Preferred Member. We stayed there a couple of years ago and because I had the Starwood card they gave us a free upgrade to an oceanview room with balcony and it was just so perfect. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'll check it out, thanks!
  • carolinehongcarolinehong member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    moana surfrider is gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    HHV is fabulous if you can afford it.  We live in walking distance from Waikiki and stay at HHV from time to time because it is just wonderful.  It has it's own beach, pools, restaurants, bars, and shopping.  You could literally never leave the hotel during your entire vacation.  AND just a tip, on every Friday night there is a free fireworks show from the beach at HHV.  If you stay in the Rainbow Tower (the oldest one, but also the one closest to the beach), you get a nice view of it.

Halekulani has twice a day housekeeping...it's our equivalent our Bellagio in Las Vegas.

Most of the major hotels in Waikiki have had major renovations in the last 12-24 months so you can't really go wrong.  The ones outside of Waikiki--Ko Olina and Turtle Bay are both exquisite but distant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards