Hawaii

South Maui Beach Ceremony- What time?

Hi everyone! This is my first post to the board :) We are getting married next October and I am just beginning to plan! We already have our reception venue, at a Private Estate in Lahaina. And we know we want to get married on a beach in South Maui. My dilemma is that I have heard the best time for pictures (and to avoid the heat for guests) is in the morning around 10 or 11. I'm ok with that, but what time do I have the reception at in Lahaina? Should I do an afternoon reception? Thanks for all your input, I look forward to joining the board discussions!

Re: South Maui Beach Ceremony- What time?

• We did our ceremony just before sunset. The temperature and light were perfect! My friend Sarah from this board got married at the same spot a few months earlier at 9:30 am and was drenched with sweat. Evening is much cooler.
  • We are having ours at 8:30am to avoid the heat. 
  • We just got married in Lahaina a few weeks ago at a private estate.  Our ceremony was a 5:45-6:15.  It was pretty warm but not uncomfortable.  It was just the 2 of us so we did not have a formal reception but it gave us plenty of time for ceremony, signing the papers, videographer interviews, pictures around the house and then to the beach for sunset pictures.  We had dinner prepared for us at 7:30 at the house, it was much cooler and the lighting was awesome across the water just after sunset for a great view at dinner.   Once the sun is up it is pretty warm all day until it sets, especially if your house is not right on the water.

• We were just in Maui, and at 10 or 11am it is HOT out already.  Even at 9am it's getting pretty warm.  I think if you want to do the morning thing you are better off getting married very early morning.  Then you get the cooler weather and the beach more to yourself. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • lorena224lorena224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    Congrats on your engagement! 

I would also agree with having it just before sunset. We still got great light and some amazing sunset shots. That way if you want to do your reception outdoors (which I am assuming your are at the private estate) it will be cooler for your guests than having it in the middle of the day. 

It was ideal because I was able to sleep in, have a massage (and some time at the spa), lunch with my mom and sister, and then go and start getting my hair and make-up done. It made for a nice relaxing day. And although our guests were there to celebrate with us, I didn't feel like I was taking up their whole day. 

Good luck with your planning!
    Anniversary
  • Thank you for the input. Afternoon it is! Smile

• We also did ours just before sunset.  The wind had died down by then and it wasn't super hot.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards