Hawaii
Options

Discount Alcohol

Hello fellow Bride2B's!
I have a weird question someone maybe able to help me with. 
We're starting to look at what alcohol we will buy for the wedding (champaign/wine/beer) but we don't know where is the best place (eg cheapest) to buy it from.  In Australia we have bulk alcohol stores (such as Dan Murphys) but we don't know what the Hawaiian equivalent is?
Is anyone able to recommend any stores?  Or does anyone know of anywhere we can also do wine tasting to pick the wedding wines?
Thanks!

Re: Discount Alcohol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I found the cheapest prices are at Costco... but there's a membership fee for there. Which island are you getting married on?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alyson - do you know if Costco is cheaper than Hawaii Liquor Superstore?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glenn and I did a whole day's worth of driving around and getting prices for liquor on Maui.  

Our WC reminded us that most bartenders don't like using handles (like Costco carries). And, the wine actually wasn't that cheap.    

You get a 20% discount on wine at Hawaii Super Liquor Store, and they delivered to our site for free.  There were maybe a couple of liquor items that were cheaper here than elsewhere: Patron Tequila & orange curacao.  They'll let you taste some wine if you ask, I think, at least I was offered a taste when I was there. They have a selection of Aussie wine, but I still prefer Napa Valley wines, yum.  Beer was a good price here too--at least the same as the rest of the island, and cheaper than Walmart even.  With the delivery, it was such a good deal!

The cheapest place we found for liquor was Long's Drug Store in Kihei--so cheap. FYI, FWIW, liquor in the US is about half of what it is in Oz, even at Dan Murphy's. For example, a fifth of Wild Turkey, rare breed, was less than $20!  The wine there was very cheap too!  We ended up bringing back a few bottles of wine & liquor for our bar in Oz.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We bought the hard liquor and champagne from the Hawaiian Superstore and the wine from Costco. We knew exactly what we wanted for the wine selection, and Costco had it the cheapest at that time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got our wine from Costco... and the greatest thing was that we were able to return anything unopened! Even if it had been chilled. It was very reasonably priced. Then again, we did not have any hard liquor, so our beverage budget was pretty low.

At the Bridal Expo, Tamura's Wine and Spirits said they had comparable prices to Costco and different varieties as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome thanks guys! We're getting married on Oahu on the north shore so I'll check out all those recommended, thanks!

Oh - and so excited it's going to be cheaper in HI than Australia too.  I've heard that Moet is $50 a bottle! (here it's $80-100)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was planning to go the costco route as well..I've heard tamura's has kegs for rent - i did read a negative review of them on yelp though, anyone know of any other keg rental places by chance?
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a price list of liquor/wine/beer from Costco that I put together during a brief scouting trip in November 2009. I'm sure the prices haven't changed much. We bought all our vodka, rum, wine and champagne from there and then returned anything that hadn't been opened. Having a Costco membership definitely saved me a ton of money (snacks, welcome bag supplies, even snorkeling and body surfing equipment). I think I still have the price list if anyone wants me to email it to them, send me a message at ahurst@cvic.com.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got a keg from Hawaii Super Liquor Store, too.  They also delivered that :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards