Hawaii

Dresses

Hi Ladies,

I'm curious as to what kind of dresses everyone is wearing/wore for their Hawaii weddings! I bought my dress a while ago before we really had decided where we were getting married (we didn't know we were moving here yet!). It's not really beachy at all. I love it and I've already had it altered and have a belt for it and everything. Although someone made a comment to me the other day that it didn't seem like it was fit for a wedding in Hawaii. I don't really care, I'm going to wear it anyway, but I'm curious to see what everyone else is wearing? A part of me is paranoid that I will look silly haha!

Re: Dresses

• I am wearing a chiffon wedding dress with beaded straps. It would seem that it would be beachy being chiffon but it has a silk underlay and is very puffy. I just had the train cut off. Wasn't sure I liked it before but now without the train it is more me. 
    If you like your dress then it doesn't really matter if it fits for a HI wedding or not. You won't look silly. 
  • I am wearing a satin dress with a sweatheart neckline, a bubble hem line, and a corset back.  It also has crystals throughout the waistline.  I love it! It may be a bit more formal for a beach wedding, but I felt like a Goddess in it, and I just knew it was the one! As long as you are happy with your dress, then it is definitely a Hawaii dress
  • I agree, you wont look silly. I look at my photogrpahers blog all the time to see what brides wear, she does all beach weddings and the dresses are ALL different. I truley think that every bride looks great... theres just something about being a bride, you can wear anything.... none of them looked silly even if it was a very fancy dress. I'd say as long as your FI's outfit matches the dressiness of your dress, then you wont stick out :)
  • Who cares what everyone else thinks? As long as its "the dress" for you and it makes you feel like a bride then wear it!! I'm wearing a David's bridal dress, Galina WG 3381.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_dresses-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:5d221394-efa9-4888-a4ff-c597bca5467dPost:6829030f-05cb-482e-839d-421720ab9a25">Re: Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who cares what everyone else thinks? As long as its "the dress" for you and it makes you feel like a bride then wear it!! I'm wearing a David's bridal dress, Galina WG 3381.
    Posted by sunnyRN[/QUOTE]

very pretty, I tried that on too :)
  • I'm not wearing an actual wedding dress, I found a chiffon Mori Lee bridesmaid dress in white that I fell in love with. I think you should wear the dress you already bought if you love it that much. I've  seen a lot of pictures of other brides who wore non-beachy wedding dresses on the beach and they were absolutely beautiful. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll wear something very similar to the picture below. Kiss

• knockout7075knockout7075 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I love that y'all can make me feel better about my decision! Thank you!!

I am not the kind of person who cares what anyone thinks... I've actually had my dress for 9 months (we had to postpone our original date due to moving here) and it hadn't even crossed my mind. When she said that I was kind of caught off guard because I hadn't even considered it wasn't beachy. I mean people do what they want these days anyway right? Who cares?

You only get to do this once so why not wear the dress you love?!  Ringer, that's pretty, and Sunny my dress is kind of similar to that... It's all lace but then beaded over the lace. This is a terrible pic (iPhone).

I was trying it on with the belt I just got (and I can't zip it up myself haha). FI will be wearing a gray suit.

Thanks again!
  • Thats perfect!!!! Feel confident, it will look great!
  • edited September 2012

I'm the kind of person who cares a lot about how other people see me. When I told my female friends, I'll have my wedding in Hawaii, everyone told me to find a "destination wedding" dress. But when I was doing the dress shopping, it's no way for me to wear "so casual"... Plus, I don't like to see guests wearing casual clothes in a wedding, either. So I plan to wear a formal wedding gown and ask all the guests not to wear casual... (But if my guests wear very casual, I won't really kick them out..) 

• I've seen it all here, people in ball gowns and tuxedos on the beach and people in short white dresses and the man in shorts and a t-shirt. There is a huge spectrum of weddings here!

I'm happy with my decision. Since I love my dress (I actually didn't even want to take it off after my final fitting haha) I feel like I will look much happier than if I settled for a dress I didn't love.

Thanks for sharing what you all are wearing and of course reaffirming what I already knew... I can wear whatever I want (and so can you)
  • You can get an idea for my dress in my pic below.  But just to re-affirm anything you wear will be just fine as long as you feel good in it.  Your dress is beautiful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey sunnyRN...are you by chance selling your galina wg3381? I'm looking for one to buy second hand size 24. Thanks! Kelly Klwaldrongmail.com
  • I say dress the way you wan't. I myself and thinking flowy., maybe chiffon...but also material that won't leave me in a sweaty mess. It is Hawaii after all. Crossing my fingers for trade winds!

• I picked my dress before we decided we were getting married in Maui- but I absolutely love it and I wouldn't change it :-)  It is not beachy at all but we are getting married at Haiku Mill and I think it fits that venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards