Hawaii
Options

Air-brushed Make-up versus traditional

Hey ladies, 
   What do you suggest?  I don't normally wear foundation or much make-up at all, and want to look pretty natural skin wise, but damn hot in photos and for the night.  Any experiences to share?

Re: Air-brushed Make-up versus traditional

• Options
    I was a wedding this past Saturday for a friend's wedding and she hired a make up artist that did air brush make up.  Now I have been to the MAC store and has a make up trial there and compared to the air brush I have to say that air brush wins hands down.  I don't wear make up period.  No foundation, blush or eye shadow and I could barely feel the make up on my face.  So I vote for air brush.  For my wedding I booked Jessica to do air brush make up for me.  The MAC experience made my face itchy and uncomfortable.  Don't get me wrong the MAC lady did a great job but I didn't recognize myself really.  It just wasn't me.
  • Options
    About a year ago, I transitioned to wear airbrush makeup daily for work, and I absolutely love it.  It stays longer than regular foundation and looks great at the end of the day, and feels much lighter than the regular powder I used to wear.  For the wedding, I stayed with airbrush.  I find the finish smoother, more natural, and much lighter.  Especially if you aren't used to wearing foundation, airbrush just feels more natural than your traditional powders or liquids.  There are some other 'traditional' foundations that do a pretty good job too, but with the airbrush, I don't need a primer, I can sweat for hours, and it still looks flawless.

It's also much easier to get "very light coverage" with airbrush than otherwise.
  • Options
    Tanq does the airbrush take a while to do? I used to not leave my house without makeup, but now I have to leave for work at 6 AM so I pretty much get up and go since I shower and straighten my hair at night, so I pretty much stopped wearing it during the week. I've never had it done so I guess I should find someone to do a trial on me. Are there certain brands better than others?
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Well, I bought a Temptu from Sephora.  When they run F&F discounts of 20%, it actually becomes 'reasonable'.  It takes me less than 30 seconds to apply foundation to my entire face.  I love that it is a super fast, no mess, no brush, no cleaning / no contact way to apply the foundation, and I get the same finish every time.  I keep mine on a very light setting, so while the pods are supposed to last 30-ish days, mine last for probably 60+.  In the 14 months I've had this thing, I think I've gone throuh 6 or 7 pods.  Pods are $55 for 2, which is about on par with what I was wearing  before -- Bare Minerals and Smashbox Halo.  With BM & Halo, I was always applying a primer to try to get them to stay longer, and the powder finish sunk into my pores a bit.

Jessica Waite uses a totally different system where she custom mixes the color for every client, and the device needs to be cleaned after use.  Very much more 'professional' strength system.  But my little one works for me & I always pack it for work trips, and so far, 14 months+ and no complaints.  It's about the size of a larger external hard drive, for reference.

Any Sephora will demo it for free, btw, so you should at least try it out and find a color that matches you.  I didn't like the way Sephora did mine...WAY too heavy, so maybe consider asking them to go easy on the application & apply in layers.
  • Options
    30 seconds...wow! Thanks for the info. I use BM now as well. Usually by the end of the day it looks like I have no makeup on at all. I started using a primer now but I have only been wearing makeup on the weekends and I usually don't put it on until I go somewhere so I'm not sure it's even working. How long does one pod usually last? I have a Sephora nearby, I didn't even know they will do an airbrush trial.
  • Options
    Generally 1-2 months, but varies based on how much you apply each time and how often you use it.
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks again for the info!
  • Options
    I LOVED airbrushing. I'm a sweaty person, and that make-up lasted through everything. Hands down, the way to go.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me.  Thanks for the input ladies.  Much appreciated

• Options
    I'm going with airbrushing and Jessica for the wedding, too.  But, now Tanq has me interested in the at home kit.  May have to check it out next time Sephora is having a sale.
  • Options
    Definitely go airbrush!!  It is such a beautiful finish, I even had my husband get the gentleman's package that Jessica offers and he looked flawless in pictures and you couldn't even tell he had anything on.  I couldn't recommend airbrush enough, it really adds that touch of perfection to your skin!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Unfortunately my my MUA doesn't do airbrush. I'm just going to the salon at the hotel to save time.
  • Options
    Bare Minerals makes my face itch. Has anyone else had that reaction? I loved how it looked but not at the expense of scratching my face off. Does anyone have any other brands they liked a lot?
  • Options
    Aaron&Tara -- have you tried BM without the Mineral Veil layer?  I've heard that top clear finishing layer often makes people itchy.  I wore mine with just the foundation, no top layer, and it seemed to be OK.  I also didn't have a problem with Smashbox Halo (competitor to BM). 

The Temptu doesn't make my face itch either.
  • Options
    Tanq- any idea what Jessica charges for wedding makeup?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards