Hawaii

Maui Restaurants

I am looking for a restaraunt in South Maui (Makena or Kihei area) to go to with everyone after our sunset wedding ceremony in April.  I really want a good local dive (not a dump...just one of those hidden gems).  I'm looking for something with really good food, inexpensive, and preferably with a great view.  I want something that feels like Maui!  I just think it will be really fun to walk into a place like that in my wedding dress!   It currenly looks like there will only be 8 of us total.  As I have never been to Maui before, I could really use some suggestions.

Re: Maui Restaurants

• Here are a few in Kihei/Wailea/Makena area that we loved while we there:

Matteo's - good pizza, even better pasta; fun environment - we went there twice, and it was dark both times so I don't know how it looks during the day, but at night they have little twinkle lights everywhere and it's really pretty. LINK

Mulligan's - this is an Irish pub on a golf course at Makena, but they told us they're not actually affiliated with the golf course. The food was really good, and it seemed to be a lot of locals. (Side note - I don't know if they do it year round, but we were there during football season and on Sunday mornings they have a pretty decent all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet for $10 and way-too-cheap mimosas - worth the trip!) LINK

Fred's - this may be more touristy than you're hoping for, but it was fun, reasonably priced, and the tacos were good. We sat on the patio and it there was a great view of the ocean. LINK

Stella Blues Cafe - I hesitate to list this one because we didn't love the food here, but the reviews are typically pretty good so maybe we just ordered the wrong stuff. It's in a strip mall in Kihei, so there's not much of a view, but they have live music and it was a fun atmosphere. LINK

None of those were terribly expensive, especially compared to the restaurants at the resorts.

Others we wanted to try and didn't get around to - Lulu's, Sansei (if you're into sushi), and Monkey Pod. 

Hope that helps!!
    BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • We had our reception dinner at the Five Palms, which is on the water with a view, and was very Hawaii - but it's not cheap.  Review in my bio.

We had our welcome dinner at the Tiki Lounge, which is more of a bar/lounge type setting, has a nice outdoor back patio with music durin happy hour, but no view.  Review also in my bio.

I loved Stella Blues - for breakfast.  Our guests went back a couple more times for breakfast.

My WC recommended Lulu's, which I believe has a view.  You might look into it.

I found Yelp and TripAdvisor particularly helpful in finding good restaurants.  Good luck!

• We are having our reception dinner at 808 Bistro in Kihei. It came highly recommended from our coordinator and from yelpers. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We loved 808 when we were there and wanted to have a meet and greet there but may not work out now since not in budget to do a full rental.  The food is AWESOME!  and the vibe is very hawaii.  def a hidden gem i would say. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards