Hawaii

Looking for activities on Maui

Finally started to plan out our time in Maui for next month.  FI and I will be there for two week and his dad and GF will be there for the first week.  I don't want to feel like we're rushing all over the place but do want to maximize their time on the island.

So far this is what I have planned for the first week.

- Haleakala sunrise
- Old Lahaina Luau
- Golf and Spa - which resort?  We're staying in West Maui.

They'll be there from Sunday to Friday and our wedding is Thursday.  I think I can plan for one more "must do".  I would love to take them on a short hike to see water falls.  What's the best place to do that?  And what else do you recommend?  TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for activities on Maui

• I've heard that the Road to Hana has great hikes/waterfalls but it depends on the weather.  We were there this past January and they were in the middle of a drought, so the waterfalls were merely trickles. It was a little disappointing.
    Anniversary
  • There is a waterfall along the road to Hana, but it was a good slippery hike to get there and it was awesome that you could swim in.  But I have to say you need to be in good shape to attempt.  Though driving the road to Hana is already an all day activity.  Tour of the farms in up country or a visit to the winery is pretty cool as well.
  • Jenn, check out this link for the road to Hana, it's a gps system that has gotten great reviews on tripadvisor. If youre looking to maximize your time on the road to Hanan and see the best sites, this may help :) We're goign to rent it ourselves in October:)
    http://www.gypsyguide.com/maui/
  • If it's still in season, whale watching cruises are pretty awesome.  We used Pacific Whale Foundation for ours and they were very educational.

A meal at Mama's Fish House (better view) or Hailemaile General Store (better food) is definitely in order.

Snorkeling at Molokini is supposedly awesome, too, but we were highly disappointed when we went.  I hear you have to go first thing in the AM, and pick a boat that goes to the inside of the crescent.
  • We also enjoyed the Winery, it was a good time and a beautiful drive.  We ziplined a few years ago right outside of Lahaina and it was a great time, the staff working there is so fun and hilarious.  The Ocean Center is actually a really nice place, we went back for the 2nd time on our last trip to Maui.  We drove up to Haleakala and it was neat, the drive is crazy though - I had to pull over and let my husband drive because I was getting nervous.  I'm a wimp.  :) 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • We enjoyed renting snorkel gear and finding our own spots.  They were not crowded and we could go at our own pace.  Just ask folks around town or at the dive shops.  We also really enjoyed the road to Hana it is worth it!  A helicopter ride over Molokai is awesome too.
  • I would do something on a boat before I did the Road to Hana. I'd also probably do something that you can only do in HI before I did golf/spa. We went snorkeling with (to see) sea turtles on the Alii Nui. Their sea turtle trips are nice because you're the only boat out there. At Molokini there are a lot of boats scaring the fish.
  • I would definitely recommend a helicopter tour.  They're expensive, but oh so worth it!!!
    Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies, I now have lots to look into!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Road to Hana was good and so was the snorkel trip to Molokini. We did an early morning boat ride (2 hours) through Kai Kanani and it was fabulous.  Very reasonably priced and an excellent tour.

Also, not sure what your budget allows but H and I got a helicopter ride for a wedding present and that was one of the highlights of the trip......Maui is even more gorgeous from the top!

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The boat snorkeling trips to Molokini are overrated and the boats and water gets too crowed there. I say get your own gear and head to La Peruse Bay (sp?) or one of the other spots that the gear shop will show you on a map and you'll see all of the same stuff for much cheaper. The road to Hana is beautiful, but be prepared for an all day event and lots of winding roads. Ziplining was also a blast, there are several different places that go from mild to wild. Paddle boarding is awesome too or parasailing. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards