Hawaii

Reflections (long)

Looking back over the planning process, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect before we leave for Hawaii. I have enjoyed this board a great deal, first starting out as a lurker and then joining in as much as my schedule allowed. You ladies are an amazing support group and have made the whole planning process so much easier. I want to thank you for sharing your stories, your planning, your weddings and your inspiration.

What I learned throughout the planning process:

No matter what, we are bound to change our mind several times, about everything…flowers, colors, etc. Thank goodness for flexible wedding planners. You will find yourself doubting details more and more as you get closer to the wedding.

Dealing with airlines over the phone is a pain. Forgo the torture and pay extra fees. Keep a careful eye on itinerary changes, chances are, if they make a change you might end up on another flight with no assigned seats.

Beauty wise, begin building your tan about 2 months before the wedding. Go slowly and invest into the ergonomic mega beds. As for the nails, I had decided to do my own, but because I had to type so much during my internship, I wanted to make my nails stronger, so I went with shellac (twice to try it out) and then found the gel overlay at the end, which is pretty strong. I hope it holds up.

Packing will be an interesting process since you will be packing for a vacation but also carrying everything wedding related. I suggest finding a place in your closet where you can place everything you will need as you are remembering and coming across things.

What’s been the most fun about the whole planning process:

Checking out the Knot board on regular basis

Receiving subscription to Brides magazine

Loving every moment of being the ‘Bride’

Purchasing everything that has the word Bride on it

Blinging out shoes

Watching FI cut components of the invitations and STDs

Watching Say Yes to the Dress marathons without anyone being able to stop you or comment

Watching the Wedding Wars on VH1 with FI

Indulging in workout bootcamp sessions, tanning, waxing, spa treatments, teeth bleaching, and dance lessons because it is for the ‘wedding’

Attending wedding shows

Having amazing friends throw even more amazing bridal showers

Designing our stationary

Hearing ‘Aloha’ spoken on the phone

Having an engagement photo session on the campus of our University

Listening to our song over and over again

Sharing all the details about the wedding with friends and family

Watching mom’s face light up while trying on wedding dresses

Trying on over 50 wedding dresses before finding the one

Creating a video of ‘the journey to finding the dress’ for mom and FI to view after the wedding

Seeing FI’s face when the wedding countdown hit 7 days

Choosing FI’s tie

Searching for the nailpolish color to match FI’s tie

Making the favorite wedding poses book

Discovering Hawaiian culture and music along the way

There have been many more fun things, but that's all I can think of now.
Good luck with the planning process everyone, next time I chat, I'll be a Mrs.

Re: Reflections (long)

• edited December 2011
    I love your post! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your wedding week!

I also find myself watching say yes to the dress marathons, checking the knot forums at least three times a week.

I must add I love indulging in fun dresses and outfits for every party, rehearsal dinner, shower, wedding, and for the beach. Also watching all wedding movies over and over and getting teary eyed.

I also love your suggestion for nails! I don't know what I'll do yet for mine since they seem to chip 1 day after I get my nails done. 
  • edited December 2011
    Great post!  Good luck with everything...so very exciting.  Enjoy this time.

tin2ca -- shellac!  I was the same way -- couldn't keep a manicure clean for more than 2 hours.  Shellac is totally the answer.

Absolutely 2nd the suggestion to throw everything in a closet / box that you might want -- clothing, rings, decorations, etc.  The night before you leave you'll be glad you were keeping track & packing months in advance instead of trying to track everything down at the last minute.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post, it reminds me to keep myself grounded.  6 days left, have a great time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards