Hawaii
Options

Dress alterations?

Hi girls,

I've been so busy lately that I kept putting off my first dress fitting.  FINALLY got around to seeing it today and I'm so excited that it fits!!  (Was worried I had ordered a size too small, hehe)  

Better yet, the length is perfect, so no hemming needed (yay!).  Thought that would save me a bundle, but the seamstress proceeded to put together a very elaborate bustle, which will cost $100!  With other minor alterations (shortening of straps, a more fitted bodice), alterations will cost a whooping $190.  :(

Is this totally out of line?  How much did your alterations cost?  It feels like these numbers were drawn out of thin air....

Re: Dress alterations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that sounds bad. But you could try taking it to another place to see if their prices are better. I remember one "nicer" shop out here (Los Angeles) said their alterations STARTED at $300! So I think anything around $100-$200 isn't bad. But that is just me. Like I said, you can always shop around, or is there someone you know & trust who could do it?
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also don't think the cost is that outrageous, maybe you could ask her to do a more simple bustle to save some money?  How lucky you are that the length is great!  I am 5'2", and have to wear 4" heels and I STILL have to get it altered!  I am cringing just thinking of our alterations cost cause we have to hem it a lot and take it in about 3-4 inches everywhere along with a sweetheart neckline - yikes!! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $190 doesn't sound like much at all.  I had the option to have my dress custom cut by the designer to my height and split sized (bust v. hip) and those were $150 each...not counting the bustle.
  • Options
    sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's that bad either, but I haven't gone to get mine done.  Like PP said, I would go to another place to get pricing so you feel better about it!
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  I think I needed the reality check.  I wasn't sure whether the quote was wide off the mark or not!  For some reason, I kept thinking a bustle would be something easy to do...but then again, I'm no seamstress!  lol  :)

AKWinterBride - don't feel bad, I'm "vertically challenged" as well!  I'm 5.1" and planning also to wear 4" heels  :-)  Fortunately (and this is advice for all "shorty" brides), Maggie Sottero makes petite length dresses (for no additional fee).  It takes a few inches off the bottom.  Plus, I decided to wear a hoop (dress is ballgown style), which lifts more of the fabric off the ground.  All those factors combined actually made the length perfect (shockingly!!).  Unfortunately, the dress is HEAVY and made of satin!  I'm going to be sweating bullets!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly haven't thought about alteration costs until now...I am only 4'11.5" (i just round up and say 5ft) so I'll definitely be getting my dress hemmed and bustled. I sure hope it won't be $190, but I suppose I should expect it if that's a realistic average. 
  • Options
    cryssvcryssv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't started mine yet but I'm hoping it won't be much more than that. And woot woot to all of us shorty's on the board.... I am also 5'2. 

Fabutan - that's great about the petite option... wish I knew that a few months back, I was tossing between the dress I bought and a Maggie (although I still think I would have chosen my dress). And you are the second person in the last couple of days to comment on Satin and heat...... my dress is also Satin, should I be scared LOL.

Do we get a sneak peak at the dress?? Smile
    451x156 proportions
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    TripleAubsTripleAubs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that price sounds totally reasonable and cheap! Mine was over $300, I had to get it hemmed, taken in on the sides and a bustle added. It came out beautiful though! Alterations are expensive unfortunately :(

a+k

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    $100 for a bustle seems high to me, but you said it was elaborate. Otherwise, that sounds like an average price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $100 for a bustle is not high.  $190 for all of it is very reasonable.  My mom is a seamstress and is known for bustling.  She charges more than that and is one of the cheapest around.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid $300 for it to be hemmed, bustled and taken in slightly at the bust...I think $190 is a good deal. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards